Should I avoid buying a vehicle if my local garage can't read my "vehicle codes"?

TheReflex

Called the local garage where I normally get my servicing and told them I was thinking of buying a 2016 Discovery Sport and this is what they told me. My understanding is that if some light goes up on the dashboard, they are unable to find out what exactly is wrong with it.

Should I avoid getting that car altogether? This is the biggest garage around and closest official Land Rover servicing is 100km away from me.

That said, I've owned different cars for 20+ years and never had a light come up on the dashboard (except when an alternator went dead and all lights went up!), so unsure how much of an issue it really is

Be careful is all I can say - some of that range gave a lot of trouble even from new. So get it well checked out before you buy. Even just google 2016 Discovery Sport reviews

There is a local Land Rover service center accoss the road from my home.
Each and every day there is multiple land rovers new & old in for work/service.
I believe they are very popular in south Dublin.
Nothing out of the extra ordinary though.
Buyer beware though

I'm sure the Land Rover official diagnostic equipment is very expensive to protect their franchised dealers, you can get cheap ones yourself online (this claims to read LR/Jag codes) but my experience with them is mixed.

I'm sure the Land Rover official diagnostic equipment is very expensive to protect their franchised dealers, you can get cheap ones yourself online (this claims to read LR/Jag codes) but my experience with them is mixed.
Indian cars are fine but the build quality on the ones they make in Britain isn't great. Personally I'd avoid them and go for a reliable European, American, Korean or Japanese brand.

Back