Should dealer give us the name of previous owner of a car

The old log books used to have the details of the previous owners.

Service history should have the garage or mechanic that serviced it, you could ask them for more info.

recently bought car from garage ,looked to get in touch with previous owners,
garage said it was policy to ask was it ok with ex owners to do this, garage rang them and they were willing to talk to us.

This makes sense.
If I do business with anyone and they have my personal details as a result, it is bad manners for them hand out my details to anyone else without my permission.

If someone rang me up and told me that they got my number from a car dealer I would be livid.

I would have no problem giving someone my opinion on the car, but the dealer should be giving my details to anyone without my permission.

Quote:
I would have no problem giving someone my opinion on the car, but the dealer should be giving my details to anyone without my permission
If someone rang me up and told me that they got my number from a car dealer I would be livid.

He is a car dealer not a Solicitor or Doctor!

I used motorcheck.ie to get history - according to it there was payment outstanding so I insisted that the dealer provide me with proof that it had been paid before I bought.

He did and I was given a copy of the finance company's confirmation of payment letter complete with previous owners name, and address, if I recall.

I've heard too many horror stories of people owing for other peoples' reneging (sp?) on agreements and would always advocate spending €25 on some such service - someone mentioned a different one, I presume they're all in or around the same price. Even if you don't end up buying the car, its a small outlay that is well 'wasted' if it saves you time, money and hassle in the future, imo.

Good luck and safe driving if you proceed.
:D

Call up The Vehicle Licence section in Shannon or even your local tax office and give them the reg, If it is now in the possion of a dealer then the vehicle is still registered to the privious owner with the tax office as a dealer does not put his name on the book of every car he takes in on trade. I had to do this last week with a car, I lost the book and I rang up the local motor tax office with the Reg of the car and they give me the previous owners details. ( was quicker for the privious owner to get me a new book than for me to apply as he was still the registered owner ) Although to be honest not everyone would entertain your call or tell you the truth either!..

Back