Should cyclists have to pass a test / be insured / be licensed ?

Given that the requirement for drivers to be tested, licensed and insured doesn't stop drivers speeding, phoning, texting, drifting without indicating, zooming past cyclists leaving nanometres of passing space, I'd suggest that it would foolish to expect that a system for testing, licensing and insuring would do much for cycling behaviour.

How about we start enforcing existing laws, which apply to cyclists, drivers and pedestrians before we go making bad new laws?

Excellent post.

Given that the requirement for drivers to be tested, licensed and insured doesn't stop drivers speeding, phoning, texting, drifting without indicating, zooming past cyclists leaving nanometres of passing space, I'd suggest that it would foolish to expect that a system for testing, licensing and insuring would do much for cycling behaviour.

How about we start enforcing existing laws, which apply to cyclists, drivers and pedestrians before we go making bad new laws?

Excellent post

These so called qualified drivers need to lead by example and show what good road behaviour is really like and obey lights, indicate properly, not talk and text while driving, not apply make up or eat while driving, keeps kids in the back seats with seat belts on, not speed, park on double yellow lines blocking thraod, drift between lanes with no consideration for the car already in the lane, performs u-turns at no notice. Jeeze the list goes on and on.

They have a great system in Switzerland where the obligatory licence 'Vignette' costs between CHF5 and CHF7 depending on where you buy it.

It covers up to CHF2m damages done to others (not to yourself). If you scratch a car or hurt a pedestrian without having a "Velovignette" you'll have to cough up for all the damages.

According to the Swiss Bicycle Advocacy Association, every bicycle must have by law:
  • The mentioned license
  • Two functional brakes
  • White front reflector patch, red back reflector (the latter is often part of the backlight)
  • Reflectors on the pedals
  • Bicycle bell (no horns, sirens etc.)
  • Bike lock
  • At night: headlamp and backlight
If you're stopped by the police, they will fine you if you don't have a Vignette on display and if your bicycle doesn't conform to the above standards.

On my drive to work this morning ..

- motorists turning right against a No Right Turn sign to avoid having to queue at lights to get onto Clontarf Road.
- Being delayed at green light onto Clontarf Road because the yellow box was blocked with motorists.
- Yellow box blocked with motorists because cars ahead were holding back to allow motorists get onto Clontarf Road from a lane which they accessed by ignoring a No Right Turn sign (as above)
- a line of cars, longer than 100 metres, in bus lane to turn left. Solid white line ignored.
- motorist in Electronic Tag lane at Eastlink blocking other motorists because first motorist either had no tag, or tag wasn't read.

If only there were laws against this type of motorist behaviour :rolleyes:. Most of this activity occurs daily with a couple of hundred metres of Clontarf Garda station.

Have to say I didn't notice any cyclists making kamikaze runs through red lights or scattering pedestrians like skittles on footpath.

Hello,

I was wondering what peoples opinions are, with regards to [FONT=&quot]WALKERS[/FONT]. Obviously, there are good and bad, as with any other category of people in life but thats not quite what I'm getting at....

I'm sure we've all seen regular incidents with [FONT=&quot]WALKERS[/FONT] doing things wrong, such as: running on footpaths, traveling the wrong direction down a one way street, breaking a red at a set of traffic lights etc. Obviously, this is not to say that all [FONT=&quot]WALKERS[/FONT] are bad ... but in order to help cut this out, save lives and accidents occuring, do you think that:

A) all [FONT=&quot]WALKERS[/FONT] should have to pass a test (theory and practical), before being permitted to walk in Ireland, or perhaps just in the cities ?

B) all [FONT=&quot]WALKERS[/FONT] should be required to have a licence, once they have passed their test, to confirm they have passsed their test, perhaps record points much the same as on a driving licence for road offenses etc ?

C) perhaps have a level of insurance, to cover accidents (to include personal injury / 3rd party) ?

... following from the above, the State could also consider introducing specific laws for [FONT=&quot]WALKERS[/FONT] to obey, with appropriate penalties for those found breaking those rules.

I must admit, as a road user who owns a petrol engine car I pay significant road tax and do feel all road users should contribute to the upkeep of the roads and related services - not to suggest my road tax be reduced radically by charging significant road tax for [FONT=&quot]WALKERS[/FONT], but a small annual fee payable by all [FONT=&quot]WALKERS[/FONT] would be no harm and help the country in it's time of need, perhaps.

One could also consider the creation of employment, with professional walking instructors and examiners required, to test those wishing to use SHOES etc.

No doubt specific arrangements could be made for those holidaying in Ireland, renting the SHOES / RUNNERS available in some of the cities etc - with a little sensible thinking.

I'm not looking to turn Ireland into a "police state", but I do genuinely think the above ideas would help with (i) ensuring a certain safe standard for both [FONT=&quot]WALKERS[/FONT] and others using the same roads, (ii) helping to establish firm rules to be obeyed and later enforced by the Gardai or other appropriate parties (perhaps expand the role of a yellow cap or alternative) etc.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts,:rolleyes:;)

Regards
w200

They have a great system in Switzerland where the obligatory licence 'Vignette' costs between CHF5 and CHF7 depending on where you buy it.

It covers up to CHF2m damages done to others (not to yourself). If you scratch a car or hurt a pedestrian without having a "Velovignette" you'll have to cough up for all the damages.

According to the Swiss Bicycle Advocacy Association, every bicycle must have by law:
  • The mentioned license
  • Two functional brakes
  • White front reflector patch, red back reflector (the latter is often part of the backlight)
  • Reflectors on the pedals
  • Bicycle bell (no horns, sirens etc.)
  • Bike lock
  • At night: headlamp and backlight
If you're stopped by the police, they will fine you if you don't have a Vignette on display and if your bicycle doesn't conform to the above standards.

Absolutely spot on, is it a requirement for cyclists to also wear safety helmets?

If anyone here thinks they should not wear a safety helmet whilst cycling well, 99% of the cyclists I witness everyday as I walk to work behave like crazed lunatics, ignoring red lights, zig-zagging through pedestrians against the red light at traffic lights and behaving with their usual anti-social thuggish behaviour, well I would suggest that they face forward and run very fast against the nearest wall using their head as a brake. If they recover they could then try falling against the kerb using their head as a buttress and then see if a helmet may have helped protect them.

The last fool I gave first aid too was cycling the wrong way against oncoming traffic along College Green and she had made a right old mess of her scalp line.

Absolutely spot on, is it a requirement for cyclists to also wear safety helmets?

No

...behaving with their usual anti-social thuggish behaviour...

You are an idiot.

The last fool I gave first aid too...

With that attitude I am sure you are a very qualified first aid officer, I hope she sued you.

I actually saw a cyclist riding his bike on the road yesterday in the small town in the English Midlands where I live. I was thinking of informing the police, but then remembered that we all rode on the road and not the footpath when I was a cyclist.

Delighted with this :)

Here's hoping it's the first step towards forcing those who refuse to obey the rules of the road, to either adjust their bad behavior ... or pay a fine each time they get caught :)

I think it would be a good idea for cyclists to have to have insurance as previously mentioned.
What do people think of cyclists who cycle two abreast on narrow country roads?? Especially at this time of year this is particularly annoying--no one can pass them out and they cause long line ups of traffic. They don't seem to care about other road users and try and keep in:mad:

Delighted with this :)

Here's hoping it's the first step towards forcing those who refuse to obey the rules of the road, to either adjust their bad behavior ... or pay a fine each time they get caught :)

I would not hold your breath MrEarl. There are plenty of rules of the road in place for car drivers and sure they are never enforced nor do the car drivers pay attention to them.

I personally would consider texting while driving a heck of a lot more dangerous than cycling on the footpath. So, that should probably be given priority, from a human life perspective.

I think it would be a good idea for cyclists to have to have insurance as previously mentioned.

What problem is that intended to address ? I wonder would rogue cyclists behave with an even greater level of inpunity if they were backed up by an insurance policy ?

What do people think of cyclists who cycle two abreast on narrow country roads?? Especially at this time of year this is particularly annoying

I rarely drive on narrow country roads, but is that really a problem that has to be addressed ? Is it any worse of a problem than tractors ? There was a columnist from Image magazine on RTE yesterday talking about this behaviour, though she referred to cyclists cycling three abreast. She then made all her arguments redundant with a crass comment about organ donation :rolleyes:.

I personally would consider texting while driving a heck of a lot more dangerous than cycling on the footpath. So, that should probably be given priority, from a human life perspective.

Saw a guy rolling a cigarette while driving this morning!

How many drivers (myself included) speed up when light is orange and clearly go through on a red. Difference = cyclists don't kill people, cars do.

Cyclists can and do seriously injure people. A number of years ago, I was walking on a footpath with a friend when a cyclist lost control at speed on loose stones at the start of the footpath and crashed into her. She was seriously injured and was in and out of hospital for a long time afterwards. She was lucky to make a full recovery.

Marion

Cyclists can and do seriously injure people. A number of years ago, I was walking on a footpath with a friend when a cyclist lost control at speed on loose stones at the start of the footpath and crashed into her. She was seriously injured and was in and out of hospital for a long time afterwards. She was lucky to make a full recovery.

Marion

That's one incident. Bad cases made for bad law. Fortunately your friend made a full recovery. Cyclists in Dublin City centre have been less fortunate after incidents with cars and lorries.

Marion

Fair enough, but this is surely the exception, whereas hospital would be the norm for any accident involving car/bus/lorry.

What do people think of cyclists who cycle two abreast on narrow country roads??

Yes, it's annoying, but it's perfectly legal, and actually a lot safer for cyclists to cycle two abreast as it discourages drivers from squeezing past cyclists while there's on-coming traffic. I usually go single-file myself (I drive a lot more than I cycle), but as a result, I've been clipped more than a few times by wing mirrors as cars squeeze past where there is no room.

What do people think of cyclists who cycle two abreast on narrow country roads?? Especially at this time of year this is particularly annoying--no one can pass them out and they cause long line ups of traffic. They don't seem to care about other road users and try and keep in:mad:

If they cycle one abreast, they are roughly the same size and shape, just a vertical rectangle instead of a horizontal one. Is it really that much easier to safely pass two cyclists in line, leaving the RSA-recommended 1.5m clearance than two cyclists abreast.

Try holding back for the 10 seconds or so that it will take you to find a safe place to pass, then overtake safely until you are held up by the car ahead of you. It won't add any time to your journey. It's cars that hold up cars, not bikes.

Back