Should concrete fence posts be set in concrete

Gtec

Hi All,

I am getting a piece of land fenced in and the purchase contract for the land specified concrete posts and chain link fencing. I have had 2 prices from fencing contractors (2 others did not bother to turn up to quote ;-()

One is quoting to drive hole then pack soil around the posts, the other is insisting that concrete fence posts really need to be set in concrete. The difference in price is about 15%. Both are putting 1.5 feet of the post in the ground.

This land will be basically "agricultural" as opposed to a garden and there will be cattle at the far side of the fence (with a strand of electric wire to keep them from pushing over the fence!)

Any opinions gratefully received.

Ta
Gtec

I am no expert here but would have said yes they should be set in concrete. I have some wooden garden fencing which is fixed to concrete uprights, my father did it years ago and that was the way he did it and he is no builder but a fairly competent DIYer

Setting them in concrete is the way to go. Just packing soil will be fine for a while, but when the posts do become loose, the contractor will be long gone.

Set in concrete definitely.

I would negotiate the more expensive guy down, rather than the cheaper guy up (to include concrete), as the former seems to know what he is doing.

concrete all the way gtec....as conshine says haggle away for a better price,,when the job is done right in concrete it wont be breaking your heart further down the road.....

Hi All,
..... the other is insisting that concrete fence posts really need to be set in concrete.

Forget the other guy ... this one knows what he is saying ... set them in concrete and make sure the corners have corner posts with straining post used to keep them in place.

[broken link removed]

Back