Should bank be reported for increasing salary on mortgage application?

My relative did not see the documentation which mention the over 160k figure until years after taking out the mortgage. On the form she signed, the income box was not filled in, only her 3 years accounts were attached and a statement saying her income was 40k. She accepted her income was 40k, as did the broker whenever she met the broker.

Do you think if white collar fraud is found, those guilty should be punished?
- how do you know what your relative saw?
- why are you ignoring the fact she signed loan documentation in front of her solicitor which clearly showed she was unable to make the repayments. Which is her signing a lie.
- I absolutely would love it if a load of bankers had been jailed.

@Timjoe
Why are you posting about it here rather than going ahead and reporting it to the Gardai? You've ignored everything others have said, so I don't see the point of the thread? Was there a question you wanted answered?

Let the record show that it is possible that the bank acted inappropriately way back when in relation to this particular case!
Indeed.

- how do you know what your relative saw?

Because what she signed was in the file that came back from the Bank years later. It confirms what she said.

- why are you ignoring the fact she signed loan documentation in front of her solicitor which clearly showed she was unable to make the repayments. Which is her signing a lie.
She made the repayments for some time. Nobody from the brokers or bank asked her how she proposed to repay the loan. The file from the bank confirms that. The bank wrote her salary of over 160k would repay the loan. It was on internal bank documentation. When signing documentation in front of a solicitor there was no mention in the documentation of how the loan was to be repaid, just that it was to be repaid. What lie did she sign?

I absolutely would love it if a load of bankers had been jailed.
But if a banker or broker deceived others ( their managers or shareholders or whoever ) and changed figures dramatically in order to make a sale and get commission or a bonus or reach a target or whatever, you do not think such suspicious activity should be investigated, let alone any culprits jailed?

@Timjoe
Why are you posting about it here rather than going ahead and reporting it to the Gardai?
As said earlier, I think for peace of mind it should be reported, it was the borrowers wishes and it may help stop history repeating itself. The Gardai can decide to investigate or not. Thank you.

Tim

Your relative applied for a loan.
She was approved for the loan.
She did not mislead the bank.
The bank did not mislead her.

She has no complaint at all about the bank.

Whatever happened to her happened due to her own poor investment decision.

It is very clear in Irish law time and time again, that a borrower cannot evade their responsibilities by claiming reckless lending.

Brendan

From reading this report on RTE , the Garda clearly have no sense of priority

The gang stole the money in Asia and redirected it to banks in Ireland.

Officers from the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau foiled an attempt to withdraw €3m from a bank in Dublin, which had been stolen abroad.

Why on earth are the Garda Fraud Squad wasting resources on organised crime groups who are currently defrauding Asian consumers out of €10m and laundering it through the Irish banking system when they could be running an investigation into the the way rogue employees of Irish banks changed the internal documentation 13 years ago so that their employer could make risky loans?

Brendan

From reading this report on RTE , the Garda clearly have no sense of priority
The gang stole the money in Asia and redirected it to banks in Ireland.
Officers from the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau foiled an attempt to withdraw €3m from a bank in Dublin, which had been stolen abroad.
Priority? I am sure the Gardai are more than capable of working on more than one case. In any case, when the detective I want to speak to comes back from leave, I will ask him.

...when they could be running an investigation into the the way rogue employees of Irish banks changed the internal documentation 13 years ago so that their employer could make risky loans?
The level of deception and alteration of documentation meant it was not just a risky loan, it was totally unsustainable which would end in tears for both the borrower and others - as did happen. The taxpayer, as well as shareholders who lost out as a result of banks behaviour, deserve to know how widespread such behaviour was in the banks, and there is widespread support among the general public to have those suspected of white collar fraud investigated and punished. I am sure some bankers would not agree.

It is possible that an employee of the bank acted inappropriately. The bank should sanction that employee.

If it was a systemic behaviour approved by the management, the management should be sanctioned.
Correct.

and there is widespread support among the general public to have those suspected of white collar fraud investigated and punished. I am sure some bankers would not agree.

If you've got your finger on the pulse of what the public want, what is it telling you via the response to this thread?

But, you've already said the bank got their money back? Why would the taxpayer or shareholders care about this case?
Because as pointed out to you already:
if the bank put any figure down on any paperwork which did not match what was provided by the borrower there is a real concern, as if they don't it on 1 rest assured they done it on many.
Pinoy above is correct. If some or some people in the banking system deceived others ( higher management, shareholders, whoever ) for their personal, selfish short sighted gain ( commission, bonus, reaching target or whatever ) and benefited by say €5,000, and done that 20 times, that is 100k. Why should they be allowed get away with that? People have gone to jail for less. The behaviour of reckless elements in the banks did end up costing the taxpayer and shareholders dearly. Also, in this particular case the insurance company would probably not have had to pay out if the bank had acted honestly and properly. There is no such thing as a victimless crime.

If you've got your finger on the pulse of what the public want, what is it telling you via the response to this thread?
With all due respect, the demographic of askaboutmoney posters is not representative of the general population..
I am not claiming I have my finger on the pulse of what the public want, I am saying what many others have said. If you google surveys on the question of if the public want bankers who committed fraud or manipulated paperwork to go to jail, you will see 89 to 90% of the public in the surveys say yes. I would suspect at least some bankers do not like to see their colleagues investigated or sanctioned.

Also, in this particular case the insurance company would probably not have had to pay out if the bank had acted honestly and properly
Do you mind sharing exactly what kind of insurance policy was involved, that paid out a shortfall after the property was sold?

Do you mind sharing exactly what kind of insurance policy was involved, that paid out a shortfall after the property was sold?
That was between the deceased borrower, the insurance company and the bank. Not really relevant to the original question.

That was between the deceased borrower, the insurance company and the bank. Not really relevant to the original question.
And here go once again you deciding to ask our advice, ignoring our advice, telling us that we don't represent the general population because we don't agree with you and any time any one of us ask you a pertinent question you dismiss us. Why on earth did you come on here at all. I'm convinced your relative was up to all sorts to get the money.

On consideration I think that you have uncovered a fraud far beyond the investigative capabilities of An Garda Síochána. I would urge you to contact Europol. If the bank in question had any operations in the US I'd imagine the FBI would be very interested too.

I know of someone who paid a employee of a bank €2500 in order to get mortgage approval in recent years. Apparently said individual operated this operation as a side line business and his number was passed around tradesmen who often found it difficult to get mortgage approval. Apparently the bank has 1000's of mortgages on their books based on falsified earnings that they are unaware of. The bank employee has since left the country but he did warn the party that i know if they ever missed a payment then the activity would be discovered.
It was "normal" in the 1990's for this. Some Solicitors would know who you would go to.

It cost me £400 in 1993. All I had to do was confirm I could make the repayment and sign a couple of forms.
The particular building society is no longer operating.

As for the op, near impossible to find where the blame is. The broker might be the obvious one, but you can't be sure.

Let it lie, nothing to be gained 14 years later

It was "normal" in the 1990's for this. ( someone who paid a employee of a bank €2500 in order to get mortgage approval )

No it was not normal. It is usual for those who partook or partake in tax evasion and white collar fraud to try to justify their actions by saying " it was normal". If someone gets €2500 from 40 people, that is €100,000. Why should they get away with that? I am surprised there are 3 or 4 posters here who are so soft on such crime. If you look at the surveys, you will see 89 to 90% of the population want bankers who took part in fraud and massaging the books jailed.

near impossible to find where the blame is.
You may be surprised.

It is possible that an employee of the bank acted inappropriately. The bank should sanction that employee.

If it was a systemic behaviour approved by the management, the management should be sanctioned.
All in good time.

I am surprised there are 3 or 4 posters here who are so soft on such crime.

We're not yet convinced that any crime took place, or if one did, your friend the borrower was likely complicit.

Have you spoken to the detective yet?

We're not yet convinced that any crime took place, or if one did, your friend the borrower was likely complicit.
Nobody asked you to be convinced. However a banker who changes figures on bank documentation by over €120,000, and who may gain as a result ( bonus, commission, promotion, meeting target? ) needs to be investigated. Especially when the bank, very suspiciously, will not explain it. You may not think white collar fiddling of the figures is fraud or is a crime, or tax evasion such as the bank employee who Pugmister admits takes €2500 for himself on a regular basis etc. You may not think it needs to be investigated and those guilty ( if any ) punished, but 89 to 90% of the public do.

If a borrower gives 3 years audited accounts to the bank, along with a statement showing income is 40k, and a bank employee writes that the borrower has an income of over 160k and that income will repay the loan, then it is the bank who has the explaining to do, not the borrower, who was unaware of the bank overstating the income until they got the file years later. The accountant also stated the income was 40k. There is nothing in the file to suggest the borrower was complicit in the fraud, as you suggest.

Too early to be convinced of anything, but no harm investigating , although the people with something to hide may disagree.

In any case, when the detective I want to speak to comes back from leave, I will ask him

When is he due back and when are you speaking to him?

I think everyone here would be really interested to know how you get on and it will be very educational for us to understand how the Guards progress with fraud crimes. I suppose they are just investigators and it will be up to the judge and jury to determine if the person they arrest is guilty of a crime.

How did you know this was the right detective? Was it hard to get a meeting?

Back