Should bank be reported for increasing salary on mortgage application?

This thread is like a 20 year old dog, half-blind and limping.

Will someone please do the decent thing?

Last edited:
The High Court have already established that there is no tort of Reckless Lending in Ireland so any case alleging that will fail.

To prove that a fraud took place the Gardai will have to prove that it was a deliberate act of dishonesty rather then carelessness. The "banker" in question here was probably some mortgage advisor or salesman who got commission of a couple of grand for doing the deal, not some big "fat cat" sitting on a yacht. The Gardai won't waste their time taking on this case since one party is dead. Yes, the banker or broker could have done this 20 times or 100 times but unless you can bring 20 or 100 cases to the Gardai, they'll say thanks, we'll look into it and close the case 6 months later

Priority? I am sure the Gardai are more than capable of working on more than one case. In any case, when the detective I want to speak to comes back from leave, I will ask him.

On leave in February, during a pandemic?? A likely story. He shouldn't be too hard to track down given he's only got a 5km radius.

If you haven't found him by now I'd be refering his disappearance to GSOC. I think now we're on to something.

However a banker who changes figures on bank documentation by over €120,000, and who may gain as a result ( bonus, commission, promotion, meeting target? ) needs to be investigated. Especially when the bank, very suspiciously, will not explain it.

You think it's suspicious behaviour to refuse to explain their dealings with someone else with you? They are not allowed to discuss this matter with you!

If a customer did take out a loan, then the broker is fully entitled to the commission. If the borrower, broker and a bank employee fiddled the numbers somewhat to allow the borrower get what they asked for, then it may be a breach of internal bank procedures or bank/ broker procedures, but it's not fraud. The potential for fraud would arise if the borrower conspired in the fiddling with no intention of paying the money back.

You may not think white collar fiddling of the figures is fraud or is a crime, or tax evasion such as the bank employee who Pugmister admits takes €2500 for himself on a regular basis etc. You may not think it needs to be investigated and those guilty ( if any ) punished, but 89 to 90% of the public do.

Very specific number there, what's your source?

But tax evasion, surely even you know that's nonsense?

Timjoe - If your relative was a sole trader have you any idea why she had her accounts audited ?

I know you described her as an uneducated lady but she was running her own business and earning over €40000 per annum which is a very good salary so even though uneducated she was obviously a smart lady. Have you any idea why she would she would have signed a form approving all details to be true and correct before the form was complete?

Back