Shorting Gold

FlyFishing

Is there any easy way to 'short gold'? I don't want to go thru teh hassle of opening a special account to just do this one transaction. ( i have goodbodys online account )

Is there a stock or etf that works in the opposite direction of gold ?

tnks..

Short one of the mining companies, but I don't think Goodbodys Online has any "complex" trading tools which would allow you to short anything.

Short gold? Risky business, I would have thought at the moment - with resistance being shown around $850, and so much volatility around.
What price do you see it falling to, flyfishing?

i would have shorted gold at 980 but at 850 its a bit risky. the 200 day MA is there

Short gold? Risky business, I would have thought at the moment - with resistance being shown around $850, and so much volatility around.
What price do you see it falling to, flyfishing?

You probably are not going to believe me but i think it will crash to about 500 bucks.

My reasoning is that alot of investors have used it to hedge against inflation and falling equities but Gold is a very old form of security which i dont believe it deserves anymore.

So, a change in perception will result in the price crashing.

I am pretty sure about this, like i was with Obama in Dec 2007 , much to the dismay of Paddy Power. :)

Buy out of the money put options? Either directly on Gold, a Gold EFT or even a mining company?

gld is the ticker for the spdr.

I dont know anything about spreadbetting ( only the basics ) but lets say i wanted to short gold believing that it will touch 500 dollars.

What kind of call/put would i do if i wanted to limit my exposure to say 1000 euros?

As long as the Fed, ECB & BoJ continue running neutral/negative monetary policy it is a tough call to be short gold.

I was looking at paddypower financial trader demo. You can short gold on that site.

So i messed around with it and created this:

Sell 10 of Gold Rolling Daily at 550.5 goodtil Cancelled

Could someone explain to me what i did :)

I didn't see anything about stoplosses on commodities but i am not sure i am doing it correctly.

your that sure about Obama??

you win Ohio and your president. Can you really see Ohio hicks voting for Obama??

your that sure about Obama??

you win Ohio and your president. Can you really see Ohio hicks voting for Obama??

Yep. And looks like the money thinks so aswell.

;
Now i am hoping Sebelius gets the nod for the vice position............and speaking of Ohio...guess where her Dad was governor.

Seems i was right. If only i had figured out this shorting thing earlier :)
Still time to catch it before it drops to 500.

Aug. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Gold fell to an eight-week low in London on speculation dollar gains will spur sales by investors who bought the metal as an alternative to earlier declines in the U.S. currency. Silver dropped to the lowest in six months.
Gold has slid 5.6 percent this week, the most since March 21, as the dollar rallied against the euro on signs of slowing European growth. The metal traded below its 40-, 100- and 200-day moving-averages for the first time in a year, a sign it may fall further, according to traders who follow technical charts.
``The situation in gold is not very good,'' said [broken link removed], a futures broker at MF Global Ltd. in London. ``A lot of people are saying if we break $850, we're going to $600.''
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aZ2fObCRDHQo&refer=canada

Back