shortage of contributions

striker8

Hello. I recently applied for Contributory state pension. I was told that I did not have enough Irish Contributions. As at the end of 2015 I had 30 UK years and 8 Irish years. The problem is this. I paid my contributions for 2016 in April this year . I will pay 2017 PRSI in January of next year. I am 66 in May of 2018.As it seems to take forever to update the system. I will have my 520 contributions but they may not be recorded. When should I appeal/ask for a review ?
I started Irish contributions when I was 45.I have documentation to prove I am paid for all the years that go to make up the 520 figure.

You must have a minimum of 520 paid contributions. If you do, you should qualify for the minimum State Pension. If the Records Office in Buncranna don’t have all your records you may have to produce whatever evidence you have to support the 520figure.
Alternatively make an appointment with your local Citizens Information office to get them to take the case up on your behalf.

Thank you Conan. That is very helpful. One query. I was under the impression that the size of your pension (maximum/minimum/or somewhere in the middle)was determined by the average of payments per year since you first paid PRSI.Not the 10 year minimum number of contributions. Have I got that wrong ? Many thanks though.

You need a minimum of 520 paid contributions to get anything.
Then is about the average contribution over your history of contributions to determine the level of State Pension. So you divide the total number of contributions by the number of years from when you first entered the PRSI system until the Dec before your 66th birthday. If you first entered the Irish system at age 45, then your divisor will be circa 21. If your exact number of contributions were 520, then your average is circa 24.5. That should qualify you for an 85% Pension.
One question, if you entered the Irish system at age 45, how have you only got 520 contributions? If you have gaps (for which you got credits) then your average could be higher when you add 520 paid contributions plus your credits. That might push you into a higher band.

Good question. All to do with family history. I gave up work in UK to start business in Ireland (My home) In the early years of my business it struggled (so did I !! ). Only one year 1997 did I earn enough to pay PRSI from that business.There were then occasional payments through till about 5 years ago when the business flourished and my PRSI payments became automatic and increasingly large. My father died in 2007,which made payments of PRSI mandatory any way.
I am afraid I do not have credits. Possibly through ignorance .Thanks very much for your advice. It clears it up a lot.

Thank you Black sheep.I understand that now. I think I should be OK on my 520 contributions for a decent pension.

Back