Short-term financing needed - what options have I?

CJConnolly

Hi,

I've a fairly complicated financial situation - at the moment it looks pretty awful, but is likely to improve a lot in the next few months.

I will get a share of the family home which is currently up for sale, there is currently an offer on it, but we'll wait a little longer. We will accept the offer if no further bids come in. My share, based on that offer, and less fees, would be around E150,000.

I am also planning on selling my own home and moving to another small home I own in the west. I would also stand to make around E150,000 on that sale. No guarantees, of course, but based on sales around me recently, I think mine should sell relatively easily.

So, within six months, maximum, I would expect to gain by around E300,000.

My problem is my current position. I owe around E20k on credit cards and also have a tax payment of around E5k to pay soon. I earn E3,800 a month, but between everything, it's all very tight.

(Re the credit card debt: until a year ago I cleared my CC cards debt every month, but I used them to complete the finance of the purchase of my home-to-be in the west, knowing that I could clear them in the months ahead. Not sensible, I know, but it was the only option at the time).

Ideally I would love to be able to get some kind of loan to clear my CC debt, a loan I could repay in full in a few months. Because of that debt, though, I doubt very much that I would be approved for a loan.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what options - if any - I might have at the moment? As I said, things are very tight right now, so it would be great to get some relief until I am in that stronger position.

I had considered applying for a payment holiday on my mortgage, or a mortgage top-up, but I'm with Ulster Bank and as far as I know they're only available to people on variable rates - mine is fixed.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, thank you.

In the worst case, you could make the minimum payments on the credit card debt and take the interest hit. It'll probably cost you €2k+ over six months (20% x €20k x 0.5 years), but then you can pay it off. Similar with Revenue -- talk to them about a repayment plan, you will probably get hit with 10% late payment penalties.

What about trying to get a new credit card and getting a deal on balance transfers? Might not be able to shift all but may help. Revenue are generally good if you approach them and have a proposal in mind but they will need some monthly payments I suspect. That being said I missed months on my schedule and never chased me. They just have an end date and once they see it cleared by end of 6/12 month window they probably will let slide especially given small amount in relative terms.

Your position is not bad at all - just needs a little rearranging.

Short-term finance is expensive anyway.

Credit card as above, pay minimum until house proceeds come in.

Revenue - explain the situation, show them some evidence and you'll find they will be very accomodating (they're human too!)

Mortagge - payment holiday can be possible in all situations. Or a deferred payment. Talk to them.

Have a chat with the local bank manager about your likely deposit of €300k in a few months , and see what they can offer you regarding your short term funding requirements. If all came to all I wouldn't be too worried about running up short term arrears and a shot credit record, knowing I'd have 300k in the bank in the near future.

Back