Short-term contract - annual leave entitlement?

potlatch

I'm about to sign a fixed-term contract for three months.

The section referring to Annual Leave states I have no entitlement for the duration of the contract.

Do I really have no annual leave entitlement?

For background, I've been working here already on a freelance basis for 4 weeks already.

You have the normal entitlement to annual leave. Therefore if your company gives 20 days a year and you are there for 3 months then you are entitled to 5 days holidays over that period.

Are you a self-employed contractor or will you be working as an employee? In the case of the former (i.e. freelance as you have been working up until now) you would not be entitled to annual leave. If you are an employee you would be entitled to annual leave.

My understanding is I’ll be an employee for the duration. I’ll be paid through payroll, with PRSI, etc. taken care of by the employer as it would for a long employee of the company.

Is there a situation in which I would be hired on a short fixed-term contract, be paid through payroll but not be considered an employee?

Could it be a case that they don't want you to take holiday leave for the duration of the contract, but will pay accrued holiday leave at the end?

Back