Short circuiting the selling process?

onekeano

A friend is thinking about moving. Problem is that agents don''t really want to deal with people in a chain. I spoke with a solicitor earlier and she told me the normal leadtime from start to finish when selling a house is about 8 weeks - I'm not sure at what stage in that 8 weeks does the exchange of contracts happen?

I'm wondering if a solicitor can request documents from a bank and start preparing so that when a buyer is identified and agreed contracts can be exchanged much more quickly. This would allow my friend to bid on properties knowing that the disadvantage of being in a chain is at least minimised.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Roy

Eight weeks would be very quick. My experience is that the contracts should be prepared and at your solicitor after about 2 to 3 weeks. Then the solicitor needs to do checks on title, property, management company, any third party like a bank getting proceeds etc. which could take four weeks assuming there is no problem with title (or even getting it if a bank has it). At that stage he asks the buyer to come in and sign contract and pay 10% deposit. They will agree a closing date when the seller signs and the money is handed over which is usually 4 weeks. If either/both solicitor goes on holidays add that to the equation. In summary I would expect the point of sale agreed to buyer signing contract to take 8 weeks.

Back