Shopping outside the country - unpatriotic?

Imho, New York is too good a city to be wasting much time shopping, although its nice to visit Macys or other stores at the end of a long day's sightseeing. I can't really understand people wasting a whole day going to Woodbury Common.

Exactly how I feel. Its not that I want to discourage people from visiting NY, but for outlet shopping, no thanks!

I left over 500 euro in Northern Ireland yesterday. I feel great. I am glad that Cowen and CO didn't get anything.

Another thing is quality. I would be happier to "buy Irish" if the quality was there but it often isn't IMO. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 or 4 well known Irish food brands that I would never buy, simply because I can buy comparable alternatives that are not only cheaper, but better.

Re shopping in the north, I live close to NI - shopping in the north is not a new phenomenon for me. Relative value fluctuates due to currency/budgets etc but over the last 20 years, there has never been a time when it hasn't been worthwhile for me to do at least some if not half of my purchases there.

Having said that, I do buy Irish when I can and when there is no disincentive for me.

If everyone done all their shopping / purchases outside the state, there would be no VAT to pay the wages of our very well paid and secure public service, not to mention our politicians.

If everyone done all their shopping / purchases outside the state, there would be no VAT to pay the wages of our very well paid and secure public service, not to mention our politicians.

Oh, they'd find the income for the wages; look what Fitzgerald did in the 80's.

Oh, they'd find the income for the wages; look what Fitzgerald did in the 80's.
Not the point. Those who get their income from the state should support the state financially.

I left over 500 euro in Northern Ireland yesterday. I feel great. I am glad that Cowen and CO didn't get anything.

Good man yourself. I presume you feel equally happy that the combination of semi-retired gunmen and religious fanatics that populate the Northern Ireland "government" will spend your VAT money wisely :rolleyes:

"Shopping outside the country - unpatriotic?"

"Over-charging inside the country - unpatriotic?" :rolleyes:

Not the point. Those who get their income from the state should support the state financially.

So does that mean that farmers who get grants from the EU should do their shopping in whatever country makes the largest contribution to EU funding?

A farmer, by definition, is someone who farms. Somebody who produces food and farms should get their income from selling that food. Farmers, like others who work hard in workshops, factories, shops, construction etc in the country pay their taxes to support our public sector. If this money is spent in the country it goes around , pays our vat ETC. If those who get their hands on the money spend it on shopping trips to New York etc then it does not circulate in this country. There are not too many farmers going to New York I imagine....and many others in the wealth producing sector of the economy ( manufactruring etc ) are finding things tough too in todays real world.

I love this line - "I left over 500 euro in Northern Ireland yesterday. I feel great. I am glad that Cowen and CO didn't get anything."

I am glad you feel great. Will you feel great when you are out of a job and are asking why? Will you feel great when you need to drive 100 miles to go to a store because ones near you are closed down? Will you feel great when our national debt is a national embarrassment?

This is NOT about Cowen or those other muppets in Government. This is about keeping the wealth of the country where it belongs. In OUR country. Stuff IS cheaper up North but the fact is that when you spend locally you support local economy, infrastructure and other services.

A friend of mine is from Northern Ireland but lives and works in the Republic and recently he got a new (very nice) LCD TV and got it in a local store in Dublin. Why? because he said if he works and lives here the least he can do is support local busisness where possible.

2009 is going to be a BAD year. There will be protests no doubt and I wonder how many of thsoe complaining about services having being cut will then go into their cars and spend their money in another country.

......This is about keeping the wealth of the country where it belongs. In OUR country.

Are you having a laugh? Need you be reminded that Ireland was not a net contributor to EU funding until two years ago. Ireland was a recipient of EU 'aid', even during the boom years, in much the same way that African countries are recipients of Irish aid, that so many hypocritical Irish wish to curtail, to bolster the public coffers. This wealth was definately not Irish wealth but more likely Germanic wealth. At this point, let me tell you that the only patriotism I feel, is to my wallet.

I love this line - "I left over 500 euro in Northern Ireland yesterday. I feel great. I am glad that Cowen and CO didn't get anything."

I am glad you feel great. Will you feel great when you are out of a job and are asking why? Will you feel great when you need to drive 100 miles to go to a store because ones near you are closed down? Will you feel great when our national debt is a national embarrassment?

This is NOT about Cowen or those other muppets in Government. This is about keeping the wealth of the country where it belongs. In OUR country. Stuff IS cheaper up North but the fact is that when you spend locally you support local economy, infrastructure and other services.

A friend of mine is from Northern Ireland but lives and works in the Republic and recently he got a new (very nice) LCD TV and got it in a local store in Dublin. Why? because he said if he works and lives here the least he can do is support local busisness where possible.

2009 is going to be a BAD year. There will be protests no doubt and I wonder how many of thsoe complaining about services having being cut will then go into their cars and spend their money in another country.
Personally I would not care if the local supervalu closed down. It is overpriced anyways. But Supervalus will never go out of business from northern shopping. Their key demographic is little old ladies (who mistakenly believe that all their stock is Irish) and other types that have no transport. Those are enough to keep most supervalus afloat.

In this times I want value for my euro and if the retailers of the republic cannot deliver this well they can go out of business.

It makes me wonder when politicans say that shopping up north is unpatriotic when goverment departments do this all the time.

One example is that a lot of the leaflets and documentation produced during a campaign such as the lisbon treaty and local elections are done up north and in England, some are even produced as far away as China and India. Therefore taking money out of the country and Irish printers, That are more than capable of producing these jobs at the same cost and lower turnaround time.

If the goverment feel that the ordinary shopper spending their hard earned money up north are hurting the Irish economy, they should lead by example and also 'shop' locally when spending our money.

But then again it would mean that these 'trade-missions' would not be to exotic locations such as Dubai but rather Cork.

Back