Shopping in Singapore

casiopea

Hi,

Anyone been to singapore? Im going to be there for 2 days and I would love to know if anyone has any shopping recommendations. Is Orchard Row/Road cheaper than europe prices?

thanks
cas

casiopea said:
Hi,

Anyone been to singapore? Im going to be there for 2 days and I would love to know if anyone has any shopping recommendations. Is Orchard Row/Road cheaper than europe prices?

thanks
cas

Short answer yes (if this is the same large building complex I was in....long time ago now.
Long answer have your wits about you. If you're looking for something in particular go to every shop and source it. If one guy is offering a knock down price beware. These guys bring scamming to new levels. There's various tricks involved...including giving you a "new" box which is filled with a dummy/inferior product.

I was there last week. I was looking for techie products and I didn't notice much difference in price.

You should have a look in Tangs and Takashimaya on orchard road They are both large asian dept stores and should offer something a bit different to what you get in europe.

I wasn't too impressed with either China town or little India.

Having spent some time on and off there during the past eighteen months, I haven't been that impressed with Singapore at all. If you want designer goods, they are there, in beautiful shops in beautiful malls but they are not much cheaper than what you would buy in London (IMHO!). If you are looking for bargains in shoes, clothing etc I wouldn't recommend Singapore. Give me Bangkok any day over Singapore!
However it is a nice city to visit with a nice atmosphere and great service everywhere so I do hope you enjoy your stay in the nice warm and balmy weather there!

Thanks for your replies guys,
I was hoping to treat myself and buy a nice handbag or shoes IF they were good price wise in comparison to europe....it looks like Ill be making do with walking around and window shopping!

cas.

The key is to know exactly what you want before you go into the likes of Lucky Plaza or Far East Plaza (both on orchard road).

- Find out the price of it here.

- Find the exact model over there.

- Have the cash to purchase the product, but you have to do the deal there and then because if you return to the store, they know you are interested and will hold out for a higher price.

- With Cameras, sometimes you will get the camera, but no bag !

Back