Shopping In New York

L

Lady MacBeth

has anyone been to New york for shopping lately? what kind of bargains can you get? Is it really that much cheaper. I am thinking about going but only if I'm going to make significant savings on the price of things here. Some of the other girls just want to go for the shopping and are not interested in the prices, they want the stuff anyway.

sad to say but i have these bookmarked for my BH ... just in case either of us end up in NYC - best places to start the hunt for sample sales and current promos in Manhattan ...

http://nymag.com/shopping/articles/sb/
http://www.topbutton.com

... suffice to say, there is always value (whether there is always necessity for the purchase is a different kettle of borrowed fish completely)

I went to NYC last December - bought loads of stuff, mostly clothes and really saved. Macy's and Century 21 have some great bargins - if you go in the days of and after Thanksgiving they have massive sales.

Loved it, would go again in a heartbeat.

Is there any big saving to be made once the cost of flights, accomodation, food and other expenses are paid off?

If you go to Footlocker in NY they have "2 for $89" deals.
You can buy 2 pairs of top quality runners (K-Swiss, Adidas etc) for $89.
That works out about €35 per pair as oppossed to €99 per pair in Ireland!

Tommy Hilfiger hoodie tops work out at €35 in NY, instead of €70 here.

Macy's has exceptional bargains, as does Woodbury Common.

I agree with Footlocker, and adored Macys

I also took a trip out to Jersey Gardens, which was massive and had great bargins. The Hilfiger shop was so cheap and had loads of sizes available.

I went out with one case, and came back with three.... :rolleyes:

I agree, I was in NY in February, Jersey Gardens is def worth a trip, I too came back with a loaded suitcase from there, great selection of stores and all indoors, very good value for money there!!!!

Would love to be going back but I'm going to try Florida in two weeks time, I've heard it's even better value than NY!

i've been to NY dec 06 and i'm going now in march, it is fantastic for the shopping and u get such different clothes there for a fraction of the price, not to mention the handbags and shoes etc etc, people still comment on things i got 2 years ago!! don't forget if u go to macys to bring ur passport to the customer service desk, think its on the top floor, you get additional 11% discount to any item in store, including sale items!!!!!!

ive been twice in the last year and i got great bargins! i got uggs for 120 dollars, guess watches that retail here for 180 euros for 50 dollars and they were in the guess shop so the real thing. i bought lots of guess cloths and jewelry. mac makeup and benifit in macys. i found jersey gardens is very good. needless to say the abercrombie is much cheaper over in america compared to england. juciy is also much cheaper. i got juciy cloths in century 21 and bags in saks much cheaper than brown thomas.

its a false economy, you would spend more on transport, accommodation and food than you would save.
Have to disagree , I covered the cost of my flights and accommodation with the savings I made on one purchase (camera) last year.

I covered the cost of my flights and accommodation with the savings I made on one purchase (camera) last year.

Must have been some camera!!! The cheapest you could get over there and have accommodation for must be around €500.

Must have been some camera!!! The cheapest you could get over there and have accommodation for must be around €500.
Believe me I saved over €600 on one purchase , went specifically to get it and they threw in accessories worth another $200 for free that I could'nt have got here, Thats the type of savings that are being made. Im all for supporting Irish jobs , but if I can make that saving on a Japanese camera then its a no-brainer.

Believe me I saved over €600 on one purchase , went specifically to get it and they threw in accessories worth another $200 for free that I could'nt have got here, Thats the type of savings that are being made. Im all for supporting Irish jobs , but if I can make that saving on a Japanese camera then its a no-brainer.

Did you pay duty and VAT on this camera when you returned to Ireland?

Manchester?? How did the UK customs manage to levy you for Irish VAT? :confused:
To be honest , I dont know if they did. I declared my purchase and produced my receipt as Manchester was my point of return to the EU , paid what I was asked to by Visa and that was that. Must have a look and see what the actual breakdown was.
Just one other thing about shopping in New York - as a non-US resident I was given an 11% discount on production of my passport to offset their sales tax.

Hi.

New York is a great City for both exploring and shopping. The atmosphere in the run up to Christmas is great!

There are of course differences in prices mostly on designer wear. Outlets are hit and miss depending on what season you go but you will definately find bargains.

Take in a theatre show, a day skiing or some sightseeing. Enjoy!

Tracy
[broken link removed]

Back