Case study Shopping for weekly house products

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOMTOM123

I find Aldi good value. No vouchers or money off vouchers. That to me is great. The value is on the products you purchase. Gimmicks are great but you are paying for them in the trolley.

Gimmicks are great but you are paying for them in the trolley.
Why are they great then? Sounds like theyre more of a nuisance and a hidden cost.

I agree though - that aldi and lidl are straightforward and gimmickless in their pricing.

Yes, I like both outlets, but when you say in the subject headline "shopping for weekly house products", what house products are you talking about? Fruit, hardware, food, confectionary, etc?
Mostly, I find it difficult to find the everyday names of grocery products on their shelves. They do provide alternatives, but to me I want what I'm used to. Then again their roast beef offerings are fabulous and hard to find better quality/price, eg, striploin roast beef. Love the range and price of the diy specials, etc, they come up with and the same with Lidl. Some of their chocolate and biscuits are fantastic value as are Lidl's. Love the free car parking too.
It's difficult to know what we might be paying for a lot of different items today from the Tesco's and Dunne's if Lidl and Aldi didn't enter the market. Staff seem to be happy with pay and conditions and long may they reign is what I say.

noproblem

Grocery products. The reason I agree there is products that cannot be got on Aldi shelves but you will pay a higher price for certain products that we all love as you rightly say but can find it difficult to pay for the electricity, gas, mortgage, property, tax, petrol, oil. Every cent counts holidays, Christmas, Easter. Regarding gimmicks that was a bit of wit thrown in. But if we lose that we are all so sad we won't do that .

Many thanks.

As was pointed out on another thread. I shop in Dunnes if I'm spending €25 to get the 5 off. I do this once a week on average. I find their fruit/veg is better/fresher in general. I concentrate on their value stuff to make up the shop to said amount if needed but they have good value for 2 to 3 dinners in portions for singles like me. I use Lidl for certain small stuff I need to make up sauces added to a few other dinner choices for variety. I have favorites in both but seldom spend more than a tenner in Lidl.
Note: I'm lucky to live beside a Lidl that is quiet during the day. I wouldn't be doing this if I had to queue a la Cork St Lidl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back