Key Post Shomera Timber Buildings

O

OhPinchy

I did a search for Shomera and nothing came up so thought I'd post this:

My sister is interested in getting a Shomera (www.shomera.ie) room/building built at the end of her garden - maybe something about 15ft x 15ft to be used for musicians practising. The products on the Shomera website look slick but I'm just wondering does anyone have any experience with them? What is the finished job like? Does it feel like a proper building or a portakabin?

Also what level of service was provided (quality of finish and how long did it take?)? Thanks

I've been tempted by something similar but it seems to me that Shomera are very expensive.

She could consider something like [broken link removed] instead. They are having issues with the planners in Wicklow over there factory. There is another place in Cavan [broken link removed] that does similar building. They will post out a brouchure. You can get a decent building for a lot less than a Shomera. YOu will need to do/get done some of the electrics. I haven't gone for either option so can't comment on quality.

Nogser

a friend of mine was looking at these recently. the price was about 20-30000 for the size he wanted. in the end he got a proper brick/block mini-house built for 12,000

Got the equivalent of a shomera from abwood last May. 15ft by 10ft (interior) for 10 grand.

Finished to a very high standard - plastered, wired, etc. As warm as a concrete building but much better looking in a garden.

>>As warm as a concrete building but much better looking in a garden.

Warmer, I hope. Concrete is one of the coldest buildings you can have!

Re: Key Post: Shomera Timber Buildings

1st day in my new office down the back of my garden. Shomera were excellent. They really manage expectations very well. They originally suggested that it would be 3 months before they could start, it wound up being 4 weeks. They then suggested it would probably take three weeks to construct. It was done in 6 working days. The room is lovely. It took us another week and a half to paint and carpet the office.

Let me repeat Shomera are excellent.

Past30

Perhaps they simply grossly overestimate the times involved in the first place?

We got a Shomera last August at end of our garden. We use it as an office/music room. I cannot praise it enough. It is excellent. The Shomera people are very efficient and a pleasure to deal with. It was fully installed in about four days. We had to paint the walls ourselves and we put down a timber floor - apart from that, they do the rest.

They are very well insulated - you need very little heat in there in the winter.
Highly recommend!

I think they do grossly overestimate the time it takes for construction, but in their defence they don't let you down. We got a carpet fitted last week. We ordered it a fortnight ago, they said they could lay it the following day, given that we hadn't finished painting it we asked them to fit it last tuesday. I rang them to confirm what time they'd arrive on tuesday morning, they told me lunch time, I rang again at lunch time, and they fed me some line about the carpet the supplier sent being the wrong carpet and that they'd have the right carpet on Thursday. In fairness they arrived on thursday morning and fitted the carpet.

The point is that they (the unnamed carpet supplier) let me down (slightly), Shomera didn't - hence the praise.

Past 30

Our seomra was installed in 1998. Never had an ounce of trouble with it. Have viewed some of the alternatives available but don't think they come near \Seomra

Shomera are now starting to do extentions, has anyone considered getting one done, or heard any reports?

Paul

Just looked at website, they are very nice. Do you need planning for one?

Yes - subject to standard exemptions (max. 40 sq. m. domestic extension and other criteria regarding garden size, height, location etc.)

EDIT:
Oops, they also come in under the "garden shed" exemption - which gives a wider scope to potential exemptions for the Shomera - check out their website for more details.

Hi all, just was l just looking into getting one of the Shomera put onto the back of my house. With the way the property market is a the moment, I can't aford to move and get a bigger house. The house that we live in now is a bit tight for space, with kids stuff, it all seems to build up. Just need to known want would the benifits to getting one, cost and in the long run will it add vaule to my home. Looking for any info on this.
Cheer Darran.

Hi all, just was l just looking into getting one of the Shomera put onto the back of my house. With the way the property market is a the moment, I can't aford to move and get a bigger house. The house that we live in now is a bit tight for space, with kids stuff, it all seems to build up. Just need to known want would the benifits to getting one, cost and in the long run will it add vaule to my home. Looking for any info on this.
Cheer Darran.

Hi Darran,

Welcome to AAM.

There are a few other threads in this forum on this subject so if you run the search option using other titles such as garden rooms you should find some others.

I investigated them myself some years back but felt they were very expensive although when I saw them on display they appeared to be very sturdy.

Hi Sueellen, thank you for the welcome note.

Yes I have thought about this I sent of for a brochure of their products and found they had a price list in it. They started from around 20-60
depending on want you wanted. Which I thought was far to much to pay for want I was looking for. My Partner works with a company that designs timber frame homes. I did up a quick drawing and mail it to them. He said for the size 10 foot by 12 foot extention, it would cost between 10-15 to build a block extention which is much less. The Shomeras have a lot of glass which push the price up. So I think I will go with a builder to get it done and go direct labour.
Again thanks, and any futher info is much welcome.

Darran.

Hi

In relation to an extra room I would recommend - [broken link removed]. I had a small office/small studio built recently in my garden by these folks which was insulated, double glazed windows and electrical work complete - all for just over 6k. Thought it was fantastic value for this kind of money. No Connection etc

gilboy
did timberrooms provide you with any certificates of compliance/exemption regarding Planning Permission and Building Regulations for their structure?

I spoke to my local planning office prior to the construction giving them details of the room and they confirmed to me that no planning permission was required.

Timberrooms had said to me I would not need planning permission prior to this but I felt safer checking it out myself anyways

From what I recall, there is certain sizes over which you do need planning permission(don't know of hand what it is) but you can get this from ringing your local planning office

Back