Shelves that look like they are part of the wall?

thundercat

Hi everyone,

We are having some renovations in a few weeks and I wonder could somebody translate what's in my head into words (!) or let me know if what I'm describing is possible.

Anyway, we have two floor to ceiling built in bookcases and as we are going more open plan with the rooms, we will be putting in a third one alongside them in the next alcove, so four alcoves in a row, three will have bookcases. So rather than match the existing two which are a little decorative around the edges (were in house when we moved in) I would like a more simple and minimalist look.

The look I want is where it's like the shelves are plastered over or something like that and are dividing up gaps in the wall (if that makes any sense) so it just looks like the wall had recesses carved out?

Can anybody help me here, just spent last twenty mins googling to no avail.

Thanks all

Do you want the new book-case shelves to be the same depth as the alcove (shelves flush with the wall at their outer edge) and finished in the same colour as the wall?

It sounds like a bespoke rather than off-the-shelf (no pun intended) job, but it would not be beyond the compass of a decent DIYer; the biggest cost is more than likely the timber.

Thanks mathepac, we have a carpenter coming in to lay new floors, fit kitchen and whatnot so he will be able to do it, I just wanted to make sure it could be done before I made a fool of myself asking. Would you plaster around the shelves to smooth them off with the wall?

That decoration you mention around the edges is standard enough as it's a quick way to get a neat finish. It also covers any potential cracking along joints due to movement.
Leo

It is unlikely that a carpenter would recommend that course of action (plastering the shelves). As the timber (even MDF or whatever) in the shelves will expand / contract with changes in temperature and humidity and flex with variations in shelf loading, plaster will ultimately crack and crumble. I'm sure he'll come up with a suitable moulding or other solution to provide a seamless transition from wall to shelves. A moulding would be fixed to the shelves and "float" invisibly over the wall

I'd describe what I think you want as wall-painted floating shelves, flush to the fireplace.

Back