Shares bought on ISE vs LSE

Zenith63

Hi guys,

Quick question. I'm setting up an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my share portfolio but I'm a bit confused about currencies. I bought some AIB shares a few years ago from an Irish stockbroker, paid in Euro but they were bought on the LSE. I bought some more last year, same stockbroker, paid in euro but they were bought on the ISE this time.

So from the point of view of the current portfolio value are the frist set of shares in Sterling (current EUR-STG exchange rate needed) and the second in Euro? Or is it a case that shares for company X can be sold on any market they are available on at the local currency of that exchange? So in this case I could sell both sets of shares on the ISE or the LSE, for Euro or Sterling respectively. Whereas a share like Vodafone isn't available on the ISE so I'd have to sell them on the LSE and deal with the currency exchange rate?

Thanks!

Exactly.

AIB trades on ISE and LSE. On both markets, it trades or I should say is quoted in (€) EUR. It's a common mistake.. people think LSE trades mean everything is in sterling but this is not the case. Both markets track each other and so the price is the same. If they didn't there would be room for arbitrage. You could buy on one market and sell on the other for profit and live in barbados happily ever after.
You will be able to sell all your holding through a broker on either market. I think the term is 'fungible'.
Hope this helps

Back