shared ownership mortgage to rental?

Rua

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this . My first time on here so unsure of procedure. Firstly thanks for all the posts on'what So is' very valuable information.
my dilemma is that i purchased under the so scheme back in 2006 and like many more I find it impossible to maintain agreed mortgage payments due to economy downturn and personal circumstance.I got seriously sick three years ago and up until I returned to work last year my MPI paid the mortgage. Unfortunately by going back to work for 3 days i invalidated my MPI.Initially my Dr. thought 3 days would be rehabilitative and I could see how it went.in order to do this I could no longer retain illness benefit and my income now is such that I cant pay mortgage. I find since my illness that 3 days is about what I can manage or as my Dr. puts it I am no longer able to work in my previous capacity. Even if I worked the other 2 days I would still fall short.
I am due to start MARP with council tomorrow and I am pretty scared about this. I am at the wrong side of 55, and it looks like future income will not improve enough, I dont fear surrendering the house,but i do worry if its the right decision, if indeed this is even an option, what are my options? initially I had hoped to sell after 10/15 years for at least the amount I paid and move back into town.The house is in the countryside but as i get older rural isolation is going to be a major problem,as is the cost of driving into work. at the moment My pensioner partner is helping me out and we are managing to pay €500 per month but cant come near the €1,200.it is not a joint ownership btw. sorry this is so garbled, i suppose i am asking for some guidence re options?

If you are a single person, which it appears you are, it is unlikely that you would qualify for mortgage to rent.

Can you give us the figures involved?
Amount of loan outstanding?
Amount of their "equity"
Your salary
etc.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,
Today went ok, at least the staff at local authority were helpful and polite.
I am single living with my pensioner partner who is not a joint borrower.
According to the council today I owe €200,000, this was initially €230, I bought back in 2006.My nett income is €355.91 per week.I am thinking after today with my age, income and lack of future earning prospects entering the MARP process is the way to go?

I am due to start MARP with council tomorrow and I am pretty scared about this. I am at the wrong side of 55, and it looks like future income will not improve enough, I dont fear surrendering the house,but i do worry if its the right decision, if indeed this is even an option, what are my options?

Welome to AAM Rua. I don't understand shared ownership so I'll not comment on that.

I'm glad you found the council helpful. It's nice to know that some people can be kind. If I were you I'd write down what they actually said your options were so that there is no confusion. And it's a good thing you are tackling this now by going to see the council.

I think that if you cannot afford the house, and in any case you want to move into town, then you shouldn't worry too much about surrendering it.

Maybe it would be an idea for your partner to stop paying, this will no doubt speed up the process of the council eventually repossessing. Your ultimate goal I think may be to get a solution through the new insolvency regime.

The only think you've to be careful of is to make sure that any of your actions doesn't mean that the council will not rehouse you or pay your rent.

Thanks for input Bronte.
Yes. the staff were lovely, i do appreciate they can act only within their remit, but I think it helps when people remember they are dealing with people, vunerable people at that.
Not sure how its going to go really, have decided to enter MARP process (no alternative that I know of yet). I personally cant afford the house now with my change in circumstances and the downturn.My understanding of the process is that by paying interest only, that at least freezes everything and I dont get deeper into arrears for a while.It will give me breathing space and you never know maybe some resolution might be found I can manage.

Back