Shared chimney stack

Thirsty

In a semi-D house (not mine) the chimney stack is in the centre where the two houses join.

Some repair work is needed on the chimney at roof level, would the usual arrangement be for the neighbours to share this cost?

It's not mega bucks & I understand no one wants to fall out, but just wondering what the usual arrangement might be?

If the neighbour doesn't agree then have a look at Part 8 Chapter 3 of The Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009.

If the neighbour doesn't agree then have a look at Part 8 Chapter 3 of The Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009.
Can you explain? I'm in the same situation with a budleia growing out of a shared chimney, on my side, but the chimney does need repointing all around. And obviously, anyone I get to do the work will inevitably step on next-door's roof. Still no idea who to ask to do the job, since I first noticed it some years ago so any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

That legislation comes into play if you can't come to an agreement with the neighbour. You must get their permission to carry out repairs to a shared structure. If they agree to getting the work done, and agree to sharing costs, you're good to go.

If however they refuse on either count, you can seek a court order allowing the work to proceed and making a declaration on apportionment of costs. Note that if they agree to the work being done, but not the sharing of costs, it's almost certainly going to be cheaper just pay for the work yourself.

Reactions: jpd
Back