Share Fraud

yddaphslaw

Some ten years ago I spoke with my financial adviser and gave him €20k to invest in shares.

He invested in 2 companies - the value of the shares has dropped considerable since that time.

Over the past 4/5 years I have requested share certs for these shares as I wanted to take control over my portfolio myself.

He did not send me the certs after numerous requests - it is my feeling that he has pocketed the funds.

I recently advised him that if I do not receive the cash back I will have no choice but to contact the Garda Fraud Squad. Still no response!

Is there any body that I can contact to force his hand?

Is he regulated? Can you complain to them? Why not follow up with your complaint to Gardai?

However, just because the share price fell/collapsed, does not necessarily mean fraud.

You can check the shareholders' register for each company to see if you are listed as a shareholder. An entry in the register is more important than a share certificate.

I believe that the Register is not definitive.

You would need to double check, but IIRC, You may own shares in a company and not be listed on the register, I think this was the case with systems like crest etc., where the stockbroker / settlement system is listed as the owner.

Back