Share Certificates

ali1971

The company I have shares with are outsourcing part of their company to another group and we can move with them, transfer our shares elsewhere or get share certificates. I am tempted to get the share certificates. They will cost €15 per share (x11 shares) and €150 (seems very expensive) for one US listed share. I currently pay a small fee twice a year as I have a nominee account. I purchased each of the shares for between €1500-2000 approx 3-4 years ago. Any downside to owning the certificates? I do own other shares in certificate form I bought with Sharewatch since.

Isn't there a key post on the pros and cons of holding shares in different ways (e.g. paper certs, nominee account, CREST personal account etc.)? The main disadvantages of paper certs are the need to keep them secure, the hassle cost involved in replacing them if lost/stolen and the possible delays in selling them compared to electronic shareholdings. Also aren't some or all exchanges moving away from paper certs altogether? Perhaps a personal CREST or equivalent account might be another option?

Back