Share Cert missing in post.

Starbuck

Hope this is the right Forum.

I left my longtime employment in Ireland early last year and moved to the Far East. My employer had a company ESOT and was holding our shares in a Trust.
In December they decided to wind up the Trust and issue individual Share Certs. They went that route to save money - personally I would have preferred the shares to be deposited in an electronic account with one of the major Stockbrokerages, where they could be more easily traded.

The other big problem with issuing Certs is - they just stuck them in the regular post (unregistered mail)!
The postal service in this part of SE Asia is notoriously unreliable, and sure enough, my Cert appears to have gone missing in transit. It was posted in December, and probably got swallowed up in the bulge of mail that occurs around Christmas.

I finally gave up waiting and contacted the company my ex-employer hired to issue the Certs - Capita Registrars.
Their immediate response was to demand a 'handling fee' well north of 100 Euro to re-issue the cert (which I never wanted anyhow) and no doubt that could also be lost in transit again!
They offerred no assistance in suggesting another means of transferring the shares (electronically) or to help locate the missing Cert. They won't even tell me if they posted it to me here in SE Asia or at my old address in Ireland. Nor did they offer any reassurance about the security of my shares, given that the Cert may now be in some strangers hands! Capita Registrars are useless and unprofessional gougers in my opinion.

What I'd like to know is:

1. Are the Shares safe - can the Cert be used by a crook to cash in.
2. How can I get the shares transferred to a trading account electronically?

Thanks for any suggestions - it's difficult dealing with this from thousands of miles away.

Back