Shanowen - Santry

Lulu123

Hi there,
Was looking at a house in this area - Shanowen Ave to be exact. Looks like a pretty settled area. Does anyone live in or know the area well? Do you have any good/bad opinions on it.

thanks
Lulu

Hi there,
I live near by and when we were looking we checked out shanowen. I did like the area shops nearby - collage near by. I would live there myself....

It's a very settled area and houses seem to be reasonable value. Close to airport, OMNI, DCU and possible future metro line. It's ten years since I lived there though, but had absolutely no problems.

There are student apartments though associated with DCU - which brings some problems such as theft etc..

I looked at houses in Shanowen before moving house.
I thought it was a really lovely area, very quiet, really settled and peaceful. The only reason we opted out was we decided to move slightly closer to town. I think it would be a great buy, that general area, seems to be a bit undervalued, excellent houses for what you are paying!

I know the area fairly well and I agree with NewKid - I think it would be a great buy. Its a lovely quiet area, quite close to town with great facilities closeby. You have the DCU gym on your doorstep with an olimpic sized swimming pool, multiplex cinema and shopping at Omni and Albert College park down the road is lovely aswell. Metro stopping there would also add tons of value and would be dead handy for town.
If I were you I'd go for it :)
Dubgirl

They are Section 50 apartments so have to be rented to students. I'm not sure what the comment about theft is implying, but I really don't think DCU students are rampaging and looting around Shanowen!

I was bemused by that comment about theft also but choose to ignore it.

Sorry about making such a negative comment -
Not speaking directly from personal experience - but from a family member living within the Whitehall area.

I live in the area as well and can highly recommend it - and the value of the houses will only go up if/when the metro goes in. I've no idea what the 'theft' comment referred to. The only drawback - I've found - of living so near to a college is the odd bit of shouting/rowdy behaviour late on Thursday nights but that hasn't changed my mind about living there.

Back