Shanowen Ave, Santry

tronman

Hi,

We're thinking about buying our first home on Shanowen Ave in Santry, Dublin 9. We have a 2 yr old daughter. I don't know enough about the area so looking for any opinions on the road or the area, hopefully from anyone who's a local. I have a few questions in my mind:

- it's close to DCU, many students living on the road, enough families? Noisy at night?
- any gaelscoil near the area?
- any issues with the houses? Quite old, but look to have room to extend. Any issues with planning permission?
- what is the bus service like?

I like the feel of the place but any advice you could give me would be much appreciated!

Hi,

We're thinking about buying our first home on Shanowen Ave in Santry, Dublin 9. We have a 2 yr old daughter. I don't know enough about the area so looking for any opinions on the road or the area, hopefully from anyone who's a local. I have a few questions in my mind:

- it's close to DCU, many students living on the road, enough families? Noisy at night?
- any gaelscoil near the area?
- any issues with the houses? Quite old, but look to have room to extend. Any issues with planning permission?
- what is the bus service like?

I like the feel of the place but any advice you could give me would be much appreciated!

Santry is a fairly quiet area and close to a lot of amenities.There is a gaelscoil somewhere in santry but not sure of the exact location.

We don't live a million miles away and have a 2.5 year old. Lovely area for kids, lots of parks -nice playground and plenty of room to run around in Santry Demense. The local Gaelscoil is Scoil Colmcille on the Oscar Traynor Rd which is in a new purpose built building which the parents fought long and hard for. You'd have to drive to it but it's about five minutes.
I have to say I really like the area for families. Love being so close to town too. Hope that helps.

I went to DCU and I wouldnt buy anywhere in Shanowen thats close to the campus (there are student apartments in part of Shanowen, and a lot of houses are let out to students). The residents there were/are tortured by students, absolutely tortured. €2 Tuesdays in the student bar were the worst for shopping trollie filled students rampaging down the streets!

If its very far away from the campus and there are no rented houses, go for it. If its within spitting distance of the campus I wouldnt touch it.

"The residents there were/are tortured by students, absolutely tortured. €2 Tuesdays in the student bar were the worst for shopping trollie filled students rampaging down the streets!"

Lived in the area for a number of years and I would consider the above description way over the top. The odd party but certainly no viking like rampages. Proximity to airport,hospitals,schools and excellent university far outweigh the downside.Also good bus service.

"The residents there were/are tortured by students, absolutely tortured. €2 Tuesdays in the student bar were the worst for shopping trollie filled students rampaging down the streets!"

Lived in the area for a number of years and I would consider the above description way over the top. The odd party but certainly no viking like rampages. Proximity to airport,hospitals,schools and excellent university far outweigh the downside.Also good bus service.

+1. I live walking distance from the campus and am in no way tortured. Every Thursday night couple of students will sing/shout their way down the road, but that's it. It's around half an hour of noise, once a week. I find the proximity to DCU, the gym, the Helix etc far outweighs the disadvantage, and I've lived there for 7years.

Back