Shannon Cruise recommendations

alligator

Hi, I'm looking at renting a cruiser on the Shannon for a week. Party of 6 + 1 baby. The week I want to go there are two suitable boats with a similar price. One is the Waterford class (Carrick Craft). The other is the Elegance (Emerald star).

Can anyone familiar with these boats give me some advice on which one I should go for? Thanks

Re: Shannon cruise recommendations?

Went from Portumna on Emerald to C-on Shannon and back for a week a few years ago and it rained the whole week it was my holiday from hell. Some of the younger kids have good memories of it but I dont like to think of it - one of those bad experiences you like to forget. The pub scene on the way was quiet and that was July but we had to get off as we were so cooped up all day (indoors from the rain). I'm sure it is a very different experience if you have good weather but in this country you have to be prepared for everything, maybe we went with rose tinted glasses on.

Handling the boat is very easy we hadn't even been on a boat before and the guy that gave us the boat that day was so busy with other people let us off without going for a trial run with us as he seem to be doing with others but we got the knack very quickly.

Re: Shannon cruise recommendations?

Hi, Ive gone Shannon trips 3 different times including in September. In Ireland you go prepared for all weather. I honestly believe its the most relaxing holidays we've ever experienced. Simply as the boat travells so slowly, your life Slows down. No Airport hassles... We're a family of 5. We brought the kids as babies and now as 5, 9 and 14 yr olds. They love the experience. Anyone can drive the boats, including Granma. Some effort is required for going trru the dLocks and Berthing but We've always gone with Emerald Star and always got proper instruction. We took and Elegance once, A beautiful boat.
I would recommend going to them or another of the companys and they will bring you out. Only then will you know if its the holiday for you.
Remember its an adventure holiday, if theres only 2 adults on board then some1 is always driving, it all depends on how far you wish to travel each day. I recommend not trying to go too far, its not a race!
Try it, you'll never forget the experience!
This year we're hiring a campervan for a change!

Back