Shannon, Co. Clare

Re: shannon co clare

This doesn't answer your question exactly but I would live in Limerick instead. It's only 10 miles from Shannon.There are very few amenities in Shannon.
Limerick is a great spot for sports,pubs, restaurants, theatre,cinema e.t.c. Shannon has pub, church,airport loads and loads of houses and an industrial estate.

Why not travel about 10 miles in the other direction and buy in or close to Ennis? Lovely town, peaceful (now that it has been bypassed) and yet has plenty of life. Great shopping, restaraunts, nightlife. schools etc. Only 20 mins from West Clare beaches, Burren etc.

Definitely worth thinking about.

Another vote for Ennis from a resident. Limerick offers a little more variety on the restuarant/shopping front but that's about all, and traffic is terrible at rushhour getting to and from Shannon if you're not on the Clare side of the city. If you want a more rural location and probably lower house proces within 15-20 minutes of Shannon, look at the villages of Newmarker-on-Fergus, Quin, Kilkishen and Sixmilebridge.

I agree,I would choose Ennis or Limerick before Shannon if it was my decision. It depends on your circumstances. If you don't have a car then you are limited in your options.

Ennis is close to the sea which is a fantastic advantage over Limerick. Traffic is terrible in Limerick if you live on the South side or east of the city.

Ennis for me as well. Traffic from Limerick to Shannon is terrible in the morning and worse in the evenings (Condell Road!!!!!)
Ennis is 25 mins to Lahinch and about 40 to Spanish Point.
In the morning, using the bypass, its about 10-15 minutes to Shannon as its only 18km.
Good schools and good nighlife.

Shannon has pub, church,airport loads and loads of houses and an industrial estate.

might have been true 20 years ago but things have improved a bit since then - as far as i know there are 4 or 5 pubs, a library,GAA club with astroturf for soccer etc, swimming pool, gym, rugby club, several soccer clubs, health centre, language school, a reasonable shopping centre (Dunnes/Tesco/Lidl etc), 2 secondary schools and 4 or 5 primary schools (one a gaelscoil) and all the other bits and bobs you'd expect in a town with a population of around 10,000.
People don't like the place because its a 'planned' town, so there's no town centre with streets etc - a legacy of 1960's planning. However, there are plans for one (don't hold your breath).

Nightlife isn't that great alright so I wouldn't be going there for the clubbing scene :)

Re: Shannon Co. Clare

Whatever you do, don't pick a commute that will involves crossing the bridges in Limerick city (Thomand, Sarsfield or "de new bridge"). They are a freakin' disaster. There are plenty of nice areas on the Clare side of Limerick city.

The tunnel should change all that but Sept 2010 is a long way away.

( Of course all these comments assume you are working Shannon and want to live within easy reach, we might be wrong about this )

Re: Shannon Co. Clare

Whatever you do, don't pick a commute that will involves crossing the bridges in Limerick city (Thomand, Sarsfield or "de new bridge"). They are a freakin' disaster. There are plenty of nice areas on the Clare side of Limerick city.

The tunnel should change all that but Sept 2010 is a long way away.

( Of course all these comments assume you are working Shannon and want to live within easy reach, we might be wrong about this )

I'm hearing there may be very high charges for the tunnel (€4 each way)and a lot of daily commuters won't pay that, so going through the city will be faster than now, but still far from ideal. If you really want the city, stay on the Clare side.

Back