Shanahan's on the Green - Child-friendly

Fillet Mignon and the onion rings...heaven. Personally I wouldn't be too keen on being in Shanahans while someone was there with a four year old but equally families should be together. I certainly wouldn't book that restaurant if I knew a relative wanted to bring a young child.

Personally I wouldn't be too keen on being in Shanahans while someone was there with a four year old but equally families should be together. I certainly wouldn't book that restaurant if I knew a relative wanted to bring a young child.

But it does depend on how the child behaves (and how their parents behave if they don't).

I went to some sales pitch/breakfast thing in Shanahans once and thought I would be in for a good old breakfast. It turned out to be just OK . . . the usual fry, fruit, danish thingie but enough to fill up on. Then, just as the presentation was getting underway they started serving good steaks to an entire restaurant full of people who had just stuffed themselves on the 'cheap stuff'. I don't think I was the only person there who thought it might have been wiser to let people know this was a multi-course breakfast. I managed a few bites of the steak, but had to give up in the end. What a waste of good food.

z

Well, we had our Shanahan's 'doorstep' steaks. Very pleasant and tasty particularly the gravy (or is it jus), but I'd echo the concerns of other posters regarding value for money (or lack of). They were flexible enough to provide chicken dishes for the non-steak-eating-females of the party, even though there was no chicken on the menu. They made a point of providing a chair with armrests and some extra cushions to raise up the little one, which was most welcome.

I nearly had to pull out, as our little girl wasn't in the best of form (constipation), but threats from mother-in-law won the day. My description above of "more frequent trips to the loo than the average punter....a raised voice or two" was remarkably accurate. She certainly caused no more disruption than the table of celtic cub twenty-somethings beside us.

Anyway, thanks again for all the comments.

I’m not a big fan of Shanahan’s, I think it is a (very) overprices steak house.

Couldn't agree with you more. I was distinctly underwhelmed when we went there. I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I felt I could have cooked a nicer steak at home myself (which I have done before, even though I'm far from a good cook!)

Back