SFA or ISME

Hi,

For a samll company, (5 people, engineering co.), can anyone advise as to whether membership of SFA or ISME is more suitable.

Reason for joining would be to get advice on keeping up to date with Health and Safety Regulations and Employment contracts etc.

Not interested in the "Networking" side of it, more good advice on the above.

Thanks

Don't both with either.
EH&S and enployment contracts etc are not that big a deal. Do some reading here and on the links that you will find here and you will be fine.

For terms of employment etc, try [broken link removed] (NERA's website) which includes information for employers and employees.

I was a member of ISME but I found them to be completely negative, moaning all the time.

I am now in the SFA. Their guides are good.

Brendan

Hi,

For a samll company, (5 people, engineering co.), can anyone advise as to whether membership of SFA or ISME is more suitable.

Reason for joining would be to get advice on keeping up to date with Health and Safety Regulations and Employment contracts etc.

Not interested in the "Networking" side of it, more good advice on the above.

Thanks
[broken link removed]
You can go to this even if you are not a member, go talk to a few people from ISME see what they offer.

Does anyone have any more input into this discussion of SFA or ISME? We are a mid size landscape company - from reading their websites, it is hard to see which would be better.
Thanks.

I go with Brendan. Have experience with both. ISME are essentially a one man band who do a lot of huffin & puffin but little else. The SFA have some really good people & have the clout of IBEC for back up. I also found SFA services wothwhile if you need support & advice but many SME's don't fully use what they have to offer.

ISME without a doubt! Their Health & Safety and Employment Law manuals are ledgendary. And more importantly, for an SME, they are the ONLY independent voice of small business. SFA is part of IBEC, who are made up 9AND FUNDED!) primarily of banks, big business and public sector employers, NOT SME employers! ISME is funded soley by their memberships, hence their total independence. They also have a 24 hour helpline, and even ignoring the other many benefits of membership, their back office support alone is more than worth the small membership fee.

ISME without a doubt! Their Health & Safety and Employment Law manuals are ledgendary. And more importantly, for an SME, they are the ONLY independent voice of small business. SFA is part of IBEC, who are made up 9AND FUNDED!) primarily of banks, big business and public sector employers, NOT SME employers! ISME is funded soley by their memberships, hence their total independence. They also have a 24 hour helpline, and even ignoring the other many benefits of membership, their back office support alone is more than worth the small membership fee.
1st Post
Singing the praises of ISME
Bashing SFA
It's clear that you have something to do with ISME.

Their H&S and Employment Law manuals are just rehashes of information freely available on government websites.
Check out
[broken link removed]
http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment

Helplines
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

ISME and SFA are both a waste of money

I am not bashing SFA (or certainly didn't intend to!) I was simply stating fact.

yes, I'm involved with ISME. This is on a completely voluntary basis, as I feel very strongly about what they do, and who they represent.

yes, I'm involved with ISME. This is on a completely voluntary basis, as I feel very strongly about what they do, and who they represent.
Going by your username are you any relation to Sue Ellis from the ISME Business Development Team.

From [broken link removed]

In a statement today, Isme chairman Eilis Quinlan said: “It is now more important than ever that Ireland remains a pivotal constituent of the European project. Our support of the Lisbon Treaty will allow us retain our role in Europe and assist in developing our business relationships within and outside the Union.

Do you reckon that you should have declared your interest up front, Eilis?

Back