SEXton is the man

I didn't expect Leinster to win before the match but I was hopeful for the first 30 minutes. The superior strength and bench of La Rochelle, along with some truly appalling refereeing, swung the game.
ROG is aa great coach. My respect for him as a coach increases at the same rate as my dislike for him as a person. He really is a quite unpleasant character.

Only watched the match last night. Opening 15 minutes were unreal from Leinster. La Rochelle heaped the pressure in the 2nd half and forced a lot of Leinster errors, like slice kicking into touch or out on the full. In fairness to La Rochelle it was a great comeback. Thought the ref was very poor and harsh against Leinster. Ala'alatoa made a massive mistake though and deserved a red....and a Leinster try / penalty was looking likely. Leinster had a late penalty (70 mins?) inside their half, albeit at the edge, and they kicked to the corner - I would have thought a kick at goal would have been better, if Byrne had the range (and if he hadn't then maybe that's a weakness?). I felt sorry for Leinster as it was essentially Ireland playing La Rochelle on Saturday, but I think La Rochelle deserved it, just.

Leinster completely and utterly blew it. To be in the position they were in, and not even try to get a player into the pocket for the drop goal was criminal. Surely you would have thought they'd have learnt from what the 2 Munster kids did the week before. Total and utter lack of leadership from Leinster and yet again, they're off blaming the ref for the own incompetence.

Leinster completely and utterly blew it.
Can't agree with that I'm afraid. La Rochelle heaped enourmous pressure for most of the 2nd half and I'm not sure any/many teams would have been able to withstand it either.

To be in the position they were in, and not even try to get a player into the pocket for the drop goal was criminal. Surely you would have thought they'd have learnt from what the 2 Munster kids did the week before.
There is no guarantee a drop goal would have gone over and with Leinster having one of the best back rows in world rugby, the odds were surely better for a try / penalty during that last 10 minutes. I actually think Leinster would have won save for Ala'alatoa.

Can't agree with that I'm afraid. La Rochelle heaped enourmous pressure for most of the 2nd half and I'm not sure any/many teams would have been able to withstand it either.

There is no guarantee a drop goal would have gone over and with Leinster having one of the best back rows in world rugby, the odds were surely better for a try / penalty during that last 10 minutes. I actually think Leinster would have won save for Ala'alatoa.

No, but it was the percentage play and given the back row was wrecked from the amount of defending they had done, going for the line was utter madness. They blew it with bad game management in the last 4 mins.

Whether Leinster "blew it" or not is a sideshow. Leinster owe their fans nothing. Their winning records have improved and Leinster have improved the quality of rugby in Ireland and the other three provinces must get to that level and the rising tide lifts all ships. Leinster won't wait, they'll drive on and there will be more good sporting days for Irish rugby squads.

On another side show, the TV coverage of rugby on TG4 has helped spread the Irish language in Ireland along with the game and Leinster were not found wanting with good team member interviews as Gaeilge etc.

No, but it was the percentage play and given the back row was wrecked from the amount of defending they had done, going for the line was utter madness. They blew it with bad game management in the last 4 mins.
The game was lost with 30 minutes to go. They were simply out muscled in the second half. Leinster didn't really look like scoring for the last 30 minutes. Their defence was excellent, which held out a La Rochelle team which had malfunctioned in the opening 20 minutes.

The game was lost with 30 minutes to go. They were simply out muscled in the second half. Leinster didn't really look like scoring for the last 30 minutes. Their defence was excellent, which held out a La Rochelle team which had malfunctioned in the opening 20 minutes.
True, but they still had a chance and didn't take it or even try to take it. lack of leadership, failure to play heads up rugby.

True, but they still had a chance and didn't take it or even try to take it. lack of leadership, failure to play heads up rugby.
Let's say they decided to take a drop-goal, which hasn't been part of their (very successful) playbook and missed? A 22 drop-out, deep into the Leinster half with a chasing La Rochelle...

Let's say they decided to take a drop-goal, which hasn't been part of their (very successful) playbook and missed? A 22 drop-out, deep into the Leinster half with a chasing La Rochelle...
Yep, in other words Leinster would get the ball back and could have a 2nd go to win a penalty or get back into position for a 2nd go.

Yep, in other words Leinster would get the ball back and could have a 2nd go to win a penalty or get back into position for a 2nd go.
With 4 minutes to go? Considering how well La Rochelle played in the 2nd half, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one!

With 4 minutes to go? Considering how well La Rochelle played in the 2nd half, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one!
But what was the alternative, batter away pointlessly at the line as they were doing. ? So yes, we will disagree on this.

Back