Sewing 2 sets of curtains together - sizes

jenolan

Hi,

I have a large window that I can't get readymade curtains for and if I was to get get them made it works out quite dear. Someone suggested that I get 2 sets of readymade and sew them together as they'll hardly ever be pulled and that a join wouldn't be that noticeable anyway.

But what I need to know is sizes if there's an expert out there - the window is 123inch wide so I suppose allow another 16 inches (8 either side of the window for the pole etc). So say its 140 inches wide what size curtains would I need to buy in order that when they're sewn together they fit when pulled etc. Would 2 sets of 55inch curtains be enough or would I need wider?

You generally allow the curatins to half. You try and strech them anymore and they get quite thin looking. You can allow them to bunch more obviously as they will just look thicker which is a lot better than thinner!
So in your case you'd be looking at 2 packs of 72 inch curtains. 2 togther on each side is 144. Then when you pull the strings each will go down to about 70ish which is perfect for you.

make sure before you do it, that you figure out how to pull the strings, and let strings tied where you make the join etc!

Thanks for that - I don't know if I should've mentioned that they're the curtains with the eyelet tops on them so there's no strings to be pulled or anything. Would this make a difference?

Why sew if they are not going to be pulled to close? they might hang alot better if left side by side. This will not be noticed , as sewing can sometimes make a seam look puckered, unless you have a fairly good machine, and can regulate stitch tension etc.

Sounds like a fairly big sewing job for an expert with a good machine. Take it there's no lining involved?

AFAIK the eyelet curtains do not need the fullness in width because there are no drawstrings involved.

Maryrose's point is a very good one but IMHO curtains such as these that are going to cost quite a lot and then only serve a cosmetic purpose are a bit of a waste.

Although they won't be pulled on a daily basis I would like to have the option to pull them if I wanted - cold wintery evening and all that.

I take on board all your helpful comments thanks

sueellen said:
Sounds like a fairly big sewing job for an expert with a good machine. Take it there's no lining involved?

AFAIK the eyelet curtains do not need the fullness in width because there are no drawstrings involved.

Maryrose's point is a very good one but IMHO curtains such as these that are going to cost quite a lot and then only serve a cosmetic purpose are a bit of a waste.

This isn't a difficult job at all, did it myself and i am no expert.

Recently saw a clever idea in a friends house- she had bought bed throws from Dunnes and made them into curtains by putting in those big hole things with metal rings around ( help me out if anyone know the name of these). If you bought big ones, they'd fit quite a large window. I thought they looked great.

Right- eyelets- THATS what they're called. Um dunno about fitting them, she paid some one to do it. Any way they looked great.

Back