Severe Memory Loss and Psychosis - Which would be the best sector to work?

TestLink

I am undergoing Severe Memory Loss and Psychosis - Under treatment for last 15 years. I currently work in IT, but due to the severity of memory loss, I feel much stressed and nervous in my job. I had the memory issues since my early childhood. The struggle becomes more prominent due to the high dosage anti-psychotics I take that cause sedation. I am somehow dragging myself to my work place due to financial commitments like mortgage, kids education etc.

What would be the best sector for me to work that would not be much impacted by my mental health issues? Something procedure oriented like clerical work?

My wife earns around 55k per year from her job. So would I get any disability financial support from social welfare? Or is my wife's salary above the income threshold? Even if I get a 1000 euro per month from social welfare, that would be enough for my personal expenses.

Any guidance welcome.

Your wife's income would probably rule you out for means tested payments, but you may be eligible for an illness related payment based on your PRSI contributions.

There are 2 schemes -
Illness Benefit, which is a short term scheme (maximum of 2 years payments). This is designed for people who are out sick from work and who hope to return to work.

Invalidity Pension is a long term scheme, designed for people with a long term illness or disability.

You should discuss your options with your GP or consultant (if you see one).

For more information, go to www.citizensinformation.ie and search for the 2 scheme names.

I presume that you have medical/counselling support available given your condition? It sounds very challenging. It may be better to consult with them in terms of what sort of work may be appropriate for you to pursue? This seems less like a personal finance matter than a medical/occupational therapy issue to be honest. I'm not sure that it's really an appropriate matter for a site like this (see point 21 of the posting guidelines here: https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/posting-guidelines.191252/). But maybe I'm mistaken.... Either way, hope you find an appropriate and workable solution to your issue. Good luck.

Last edited:
Could you ask for remote working? That may be overall less stressful.

Does your company have an income protection scheme for serious illness? It might be worthwhile checking out their illness cover.

Is there a job at your current company that you feel able to do given your current disability, that may be another option.

Best of luck.

Could you ask for remote working? That may be overall less stressful.

Does your company have an income protection scheme for serious illness? It might be worthwhile checking out their illness cover.

Is there a job at your current company that you feel able to do given your current disability, that may be another option.

Best of luck.

I am currently working in a hybrid model - 2 days at office and 3 days at home. There wont be any other role that suits me to work fully remote with the current employer.

May be I start searching linkedin and other job sites for a fully remote job.

I work in admin and from time to time we can't keep up with our scanning (the old filing). We have an electronic record management system and about 3 times a year we outsource to the company. It's very satisfying to get rid of 30 bank boxes.

Anyway I've often thought about the task itself and how you'd could put a set of headphones on, no interruptions and have a job done at the end of the day.

I work in admin and from time to time we can't keep up with our scanning (the old filing). We have an electronic record management system and about 3 times a year we outsource to the company. It's very satisfying to get rid of 30 bank boxes.

Anyway I've often thought about the task itself and how you'd could put a set of headphones on, no interruptions and have a job done at the end of the day.

So are you suggesting that an admin / clerical job might suit me best?

What about a trade working with your hands where you could be self-employed like landscape gardener/plumber/tiler/painter etc.
That way you get to choose your own jobs and workload.
Physical exertion can be good for your state of mind, you've straight forward tasks and when they're done they're done and you can go home and switch off, there is probably a chance of making good money when you get good at whatever it is.

There might be a period of working for/with someone else while you learn the ropes.

Advice to be taken with a grain of salt because I don't work in anything like that myself, just often thought it might be rewarding work whenever I've taken on some big DIY jobs myself.

Back