Setting up an online competition business - Questions

dave29

Hi,

Three friends and I are looking to set up an online competition site, where customers buy tickets for different items and are entered into the competition.

From reading, this is classed as a lottery of sorts and therefore we'd need a license.

Does anyone know what license is needed or where to apply for one?

Any help would be great.

NB: I know we need to speak to a solicitor, but we'd like to find out as much as we can before doing so. - thanks

This is governed by the Gaming and Lotteries Act. The rules applicable will vary on the nature of the venture (raffle/lottery Vs game of skill). The typical raffle/lottery license won't do it as the organisers are not allowed to profit personally from those.

This is governed by the Gaming and Lotteries Act. The rules applicable will vary on the nature of the venture (raffle/lottery Vs game of skill). The typical raffle/lottery license won't do it as the organisers are not allowed to profit personally from those.
Thanks for your reply.

We will have a question before you can enter the competition- If we have this, do we need a license ?

We will have a question before you can enter the competition- If we have this, do we need a license ?

If there's an element of chance (multiple correct entries to a simple question for example), then if you're looking to charge, you're looking at a gaming license.

Three tests for a lottery. Paid entry. Game of chance. Prize. Fail one to avoid needing a licence.

Three tests for a lottery. Paid entry. Game of chance. Prize. Fail one to avoid needing a licence.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I don't understand your reply.

Can you explain what you mean

We will have the following
1) Question to be answered correctly to be in the competition
2) Paid entry
3) A prize - prizes will change all the time.

We will have the following
1) Question to be answered correctly to be in the competition
2) Paid entry
3) A prize - prizes will change all the time.

You fail 2 of the 3 tests that must pass in order to avoid requiring a license. There would be a lot more companies doing what you propose if it were possible without a license.

So would you say somewhere like .jdcompetitions.ie is doing this without a license ? - I see nothing on their site stating they have a license.

Which license would you need to get ?

What would what i'm trying to do be classed as ?

I thought having the question made it a game of skill not chance.

thanks for your reply.

So would you say somewhere like .jdcompetitions.ie is doing this without a license ? - I see nothing on their site stating they have a license.

Which license would you need to get ?

What would what i'm trying to do be classed as ?

I thought having the question made it a game of skill not chance.

thanks for your reply.

Did you find an answer? Do you need a license?

Hi Dave, Did you ever get in contact with a solicitor about this in the end? Im in a similar situation at the moment and have been looking into it a bit. My limited understanding of it is that the final result will be a gaming licence is required. The Competition myself and some friends run are actually very similar to that of fantasy sports but breaking it down it would be classed as a competition that requires a large element of skill to compete with a paid entry and currently 100 percent of the entries go to the winner(s). But as we progress commission will be something we look at. I understand that a lottery licence would require a Min. of 25% go to a charitable or Philanthropic source with max 75% allocated to the winner and a Max of 25% taken for competition costs and expenses. But unfortunately haven't been able to answer the main question here. So any info you feel like passing on would be of great help!

Back