Setting up additional email address in Outlook - problems

Caveat

Searched this but didn't find anything specific.

I think it's straightforward but just checking - can I set up an extra email address simply by going into accounts and add...etc

I was proposing to copy whatever settings are necessary to complete the set-up from my existing account.

Is it any more complicated than this?

Re: Setting up additional email address in Outlook

You can easily set up multiple email accounts in Outlook (or do you mean Outlook Express?). The online help explains how to do this. Copying the details from an existing account already configured may not make sense if the new one is not on the same server/service etc.

Thanks - no it's Outlook.

Copying the details from an existing account already configured may not make sense if the new one is not on the same server/service etc.

New account would also be on eircom.net - is this all you mean?

I'll check the online help - I haven't really looked into setting this up or even considered it until now.

OK - if it's another account on the same service then just the username/email address and password should be different I guess? When I mentioned "online" help I really meant the help bundled with Outlook.

OK, so according to the 'wizard' I did everything I was supposed to, but my new account is not functional. I tried the online help but it doesn't advise on anything that the wizard didn't already prompt me for.

When I click send and receive there are now four 'lines' in the progress box to process - original account send + receive, new account send + receive. The 'send' aspect of the new account gets a green tick, but after that I keep getting a pop-up asking me for my user name and password for the new account - it just keeps reappearing every time I fill it in.

Eventually, when I cancel the error message is:

Ox800CCC92 email server rejected your login. verify your user name and password in your account properties...

When setting up the account I chose POP3, my new address, new password, and chose mail1.eircom.net as my incoming and outgoing (simply because that's what my existing account used)

Am I making some silly basic error or what?

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but have you registered your new login with the eircom.net website?

Yeah - the account must exist a priori before it will work when configured in Outlook. Outlook doesn't automagically contact your service provider and register the account itself in case you thought that it might.

Back