Setting up a website need help?

Angelinao

Any one have any info on setting up a website, I have been quoted funny money for people to set one up for me. Surely it doesn't cost 3k+ just to get a site going(or does it?). Is there any way of setting it up myself, without having to pay that kind of cash?
Any help would be appreciated.
A..........

The price of websites can vary hugely depending on what you want. The best way to get a price you are happy with is to write down EXACTLY what you want to the website to do..

Is it an online shop or just a couple of brochure-style pages?
Do you supply images or do they need to be sourced
What does your business do?
What is the function of this site?
Does it need to be updated all the time?
Who is the target audience?
What kind of response do you want from your visitors?
How many different kinds of customers do you have?
What kind of information do the users want?

Do your competitors have websites? If so look at their sites and see which ones you think are more successful, and why. Then go to a few web-design companies, freelancers and design houses, give them a clear brief, have a look at their portfolios compare prices and you can make your decision then.

Any one have any info on setting up a website, I have been quoted funny money for people to set one up for me. Surely it doesn't cost 3k+ just to get a site going(or does it?). Is there any way of setting it up myself, without having to pay that kind of cash?
3k is quite modest by business standards. Competant web-developers cost around 500 euro a day.

Don't forget get to spec the bandwidth of the host. 'Free' sites might limit you to an effective 20 visitors a day.

You get what you pay for.

You should go to www.scriptlance.com. Have a good idea of what you want from the site and the look of it. I was quoted €1500 for a site and got it done for $200 with scriptlance. Its nothing special but its a start. The price doesnt include hosting the site.

A..........

A website is part of your business. It should usually bring money in, either through advertising, or direct sales, or at the very least provide a service of some kind. So what do you want it to do, and what metrics will you use to know if its achieving its objectives?

A..........
I'm a member of www.affilorama.com This is mainly for setting up affiliate market websites but they give tutorials on how to use web-design programs like Nvu or Dreamweaver and lots of other info.

3k is an ok price for a nice looking website. yes, you can get it done on the cheap from the likes of elance.com but your going to have to do a lot of hand holding to get what you want.

A..........

Hi I actually met a guy through this website and he designed my dads website and I have to say he did a brilliant and speedy job - very very reasonable price (per page)- the company is Avantec in Mullingar I will PM you the details.

I don't have any connection to the company other than being a very happy customer

I do in-expensive websites on a freelance basis... have pm you too... btw: i'm also a mullingar operator (seems to be turning into our very own silicon bog)...

If you find neither my services or the above good enough, maybe try hanyweb.ie (another mullingar operator) - entry level package is €799 (ex vat) and would be about equal to what I do; except perhaps a slightly more professional service and of course at least double the price!

Back