Setting up a wall chasing business

McKe1n

Hi, looking to get started in wall chasing for plumbing and electricians, had some previous experience and I know it's not the easiest but willing to do, so just wondering is there anyone who would have like a price sheet? ( I know every job is different depending on the material of bricks and etc. But just general information is appreciated)

I doubt very much that self employed contractors work off the same prices. That's why you'll get different prices when trying to get a job done. Are you registered for vat? Got the proper tools, insurance and good transport? From where do you expect to get work and are you prepared for people who won't come up with what they owe you? You'll be new to the game and those guys will latch on to you in double quick time. How will you know who's who? You'll learn very quickly, but it'll cost you. I'm not trying to put you off, just be sharp and keep your eyes and ears open if you meet up with other subbies and contractors.

Was considering the chasing as side hustle after work to see if that would pay off go on full time, I suppose I haven't thought about everything mentioned above (vat, insurance, legal costs) about where would I get work I had planned to contact local electricians and offer my services, and as for the equipment it's basic cheapest wall chaser from market (if received few job offers I already done research about professional equipment but that easily adds up to 1k)

Your Local enterprise office have good courses on the basics of starting and properly setting up a business, might be worth a shot

Was considering the chasing as side hustle after work to see if that would pay off go on full time,
Would you need SafePass to work on such jobs?

it's basic cheapest wall chaser from market
I have one of those, they're not great in particular with dust management and they take longer than pro rated gear. You don't need cheap tools failing half-way through a job. Any pro hiring you will recognise tools that aren't fit for the job and may not want to risk you not being able to finish a job on schedule causing them delays. Time is money for them.

Not sure what age you are but wonder what future there is in wall chasing with more modern construction techniques rendering it unnecessary.

Yes I have Safe pass and manual handling, now really considering the professional gear but that still comes back to my original question is how much usually people charge for the chasing..

I would say a general electrician / plumber would probably do this work themselves rather than outsource to a third party.

I would say a general electrician / plumber would probably do this work themselves rather than outsource to a third party.
The generally do. It’s cheaper and quicker. They don’t have to rely on a third party. Now getting them go ‘make good’ and clean up after themselves that’s another discussion…

I was talking to a few electricians and they all stated that they're companies is hiring someone else for chasing all the time

as for the equipment it's basic cheapest wall chaser from market (if received few job offers I already done research about professional equipment but that easily adds up to 1k)

You don't need cheap tools failing half-way through a job. Any pro hiring you will recognise tools that aren't fit for the job and may not want to risk you not being able to finish a job on schedule causing them delays.

In the greater scheme of things, €1k is not a lot of money to invest in something that can create an income for you.

I would agree with @Leo, the goal of your first few jobs is to get repeat business so the last thing you need is a cheap DIY tool that does a bad job and ends any chance of getting more bus from the same electrician.

If finding the €1k is difficult to get, then you should be considering hiring the pro tools for the first few jobs and at least make a good impression. You might not make any money from those jobs but you'll be building contacts and hope repeat business until you can justify buying your own tools

As for your pricing, at a really basic level, you should know how long it takes to chase 10, 20, 30 metres and figure out how much your hourly/daily rate is.

Lads doing chasing on sites are getting about 18.50 an hour.
There is lots of demand but make sure you have all the right tools and certs otherwise the big sites won’t entertain you.

Thanks for the opinions from everyone! Really appreciate it and I will definitely look into professional gear

Back