Setting up a new joint account?

MangoJoe

Hi All,

Just a quick question please, I'd really appreciate any advice you might have.

I want to set up a joint account for myself and my partner (not married as of yet)

The rough plan is to work out an average monthly cost of all household outgoings and then overpay this by 10% leading to a handy surplus for Christmas.

Where is the cheapest place to get a joint current account with 2 ATM cards?

I'm totally behind the curve re Revolut etc - Looking for least recurring charges and ease of use really.

I'm with PTSB and she's with BOI.

Thanks for the help.

One option is a joint PTSB Explore account. Fees are 4 EUR per month but you get 10 cent cashback per debit card usage up to 5 EUR per month.

We use the EBS Money Manager account for this purpose (see the current account best buys thread). It is completely free. We don't mind that there's no contactless payments and that the online service is basic. It works perfectly and we've had no issues and no fees.

Last edited:
I should add that when we set this account up I had intended to have all our direct debits for utilities coming from this account. However a number of companies needed signed direct debit mandate forms to do this because it's a joint account - rather than just allowing an IBAN to be entered online. We didn't bother doing this, so I've ended up with the utility direct debits going from my own current account and then I move the money over manually from the joint account to compensate. Because of this, having the joint account hasn't been as worthwhile/convenient as I thought it would be. This is not the EBS's fault though!

Back