Serving a Notice of Termination

hippoman

I need to serve a Notice of Termination on each of my tenants (2 people living in one property).
I was going to send them by registered post but the property is in an apartment complex so it will be hard to get a signature on delivery and also, I'm concerned they will guess what the letters pertain to, refuse to accept them and they will be sent back to me.

I have a friend who also lives in the same apartment complex. Would I be better off asking him to drop the notices in to the tenants in person or is registered post still the better option as there would be a record of my attempt to serve the notice? And if my friend does knock on the door but only one of the tenants is home how can he serve notice on the other tenant?

Also there's a piece of text on the sample Notice of Termination from the RTB which reads: "This notice is served on......[insert date here]". Should that be the date I post the letter or the date I expect they will receive it? I know it sounds pedantic but they're particularly difficult and I know they will be looking for any excuse to invalidate the notice (this being my second attempt).

Thanking you all

I would just send the notices by ordinary post and date the notices as at the date that you actually post the notices. Obviously keep copies.

Remember that the relevant notice period starts on the day after service so allow a few extra days to avoid any room for dispute.

Thanks Sarenco but what if they claim never to have received the notices? I will have no proof they actually did.

You don't have to prove they received or read the notice - you just have to be in a position to confirm that you actually served the notice.

You could, of course, send the notice by both ordinary and registered post.

Some landlords also recommend sending these type of letters by speed post, which has a record of delivery but doesn't require a signature on delivery.

Back