Service of Legal Documents

unsub

I have been asked by my employer to serve a Committal summons (District Court) by way of personal service on a debtor of the firm.
If I agree, do I have to show I.D. to the debtor if requested to do so?
Am I am agent of the plaintiff's solicitor or am I an "officer of the courts".

Help!

Personal service is not normal for such documents. It is more usual to use registered post and failing that substituted service.

Also where personal service is effected, certain proofs are needed to satisfy the court. This is the reason process servers are used as they know exactly what is needed.

Sounds like your boss is trying to save a few bob here.

Sorry for the delay in replying.
A process server can be anybody. There are no special qualifications required.
My queries remain unanswered.

Personal service is not normal for such documents. It is more usual to use registered post and failing that substituted service.

Also where personal service is effected, certain proofs are needed to satisfy the court. This is the reason process servers are used as they know exactly what is needed.

Sounds like your boss is trying to save a few bob here.
Time ; Does seem unusual and Unsubs boss maybe saving a few bob but Unsubs questions still stand.

I would think Unsub can serve it and Unsub is under no obligation to identify himself .
Can anyone enlighten unsub.

Why is the boss deviating from established practice? Has the court given leave for personal service?

Process servers don't have to show ID, they must identify the person and place the document in their hand. They then swear a statement of service before a peace commissioner.

Time;

Boss probably deviating from established practise because it suits his circumstances.
I would think personal service + statement of service is a 100% way of proving service.
On Reg post ,the recipient could stall by saying Reg letter not passed on or some other lame answer, I appreciate Reg Mail should normally suffice but?.

You have clarified unsubs question on should ID be shown. I can only assume Unsub would rather not identify himself.

I presume unsub is solely an agent, can you advise?

Indeed, he would only be an agent. Officer of the court is only for solicitors, barristers, sheriffs and other court service employees.

Once a registered letter is delivered that is good service as far as a court would be concerned. You do occasionally get chancers who will refuse to sign or collect reg post. In those cases a judge will grant permission for substituted service by ordinary prepaid post. Basically it can be sent as a normal letter and pushed through the letterbox. That is good enough to cover 99.9% of situations.

Back