Service cost for heat pumps

bstop

I got a leaflet drop from Panasonic outlining their heat pump service plans.
Basic service once a year is 258 euro per year.
Basic service once a year with one breakdown call out with 20% off parts is 348 euro per year.
Premium service with breakdowns and parts included is 468 euro per year.

These unit are complicated and can be troublesome as reflected in the above charges.

I got a leaflet drop from Panasonic outlining their heat pump service plans.
Basic service once a year is 258 euro per year.
In the motor industry, premium car dealer will charge a multiple of what a small independent garage will for the same service. What a Mercedes dealer will charge for a service is in no way indicative of how troublesome one of their cars is.

The same will apply with heat pumps. They're generally less complex and more reliable than boilers.

I'd say you are doing well to get anyone to turn up, lads are too busy fitting new ones. I've had a heat pump for about ten years(it was installed 20 years ago), only ever got it serviced once so far and needed fixing another time
I'd say service only required every two or three years once the initial installation is done properly and the hp is working efficiently

I'd say you are doing well to get anyone to turn up, lads are too busy fitting new ones. I've had a heat pump for about ten years(it was installed 20 years ago), only ever got it serviced once so far and needed fixing another time
I'd say service only required every two or three years once the initial installation is done properly and the hp is working efficiently
you could say that about anything, for me anything that costs over 5k to replace needs to be looked at annually just for peace of mind.

In reality, heat pumps are little more complicated than your average fridge, and far less so than some of the smart offerings.

Assuming no leaks, there is no servicing required on the wet side, and maintenance of the dry side is little more than cleaning vents and filters, replacing the latter if required.

In reality, heat pumps are little more complicated than your average fridge, and far less so than some of the smart offerings.

Assuming no leaks, there is no servicing required on the wet side, and maintenance of the dry side is little more than cleaning vents and filters, replacing the latter if required.
maybe not but they are a lot more hassle to replace (and costly) and subject to the elements, for the sake of 180 quid a year an annual check up is worth it imo.

maybe not but they are a lot more hassle to replace (and costly) and subject to the elements, for the sake of 180 quid a year an annual check up is worth it imo.
And that's your call, but assuming you can clean a duct/ filter yourself, an annual service is not likely to significantly enhance the lifespan in any meaningful way.

We have air to water and the service is approx €250 these days. The service agent have said they are no longer taking on new customers because they are so busy and will only continue to look after existing customers.

Our Daikin unit would cost a lot to replace, not sure if I have heard figures of thousands, so intend to look after it as much as possible.

We have air to water and the service is approx €250 these days. The service agent have said they are no longer taking on new customers because they are so busy and will only continue to look after existing customers.

Our Daikin unit would cost a lot to replace, not sure if I have heard figures of thousands, so intend to look after it as much as possible.
6-12k it would seem and thats just for the unit, id imagine a hefty labour bill also

In your opinion, do you have expertise in this area or is that just a general feeling you have?

The SEAI for example would disagree with you: https://www.seai.ie/publications/Heat-Pump-Operation-and-Maintenance-Guide.pdf
Well my background is electronic engineering, so I understand the workings and can read a service manual. Google the one for your model, you might be surprised how DIYable the main service tasks are. I presume you'd never pay to have a fridge serviced.

Well my background is electronic engineering, so I understand the workings and can read a service manual. Google the one for your model, you might be surprised how DIYable the main service tasks are. I presume you'd never pay to have a fridge serviced.
No but there are several reasons for that, the main one being that we have two so there is redundancy there and to replace one will cost in the 100s not in the thousands.

We appear to agree that you should service a heat pump annually , the disagreement is about whether it’s worth paying a professional to do it or not.

We appear to agree that you should service a heat pump annually , the disagreement is about whether it’s worth paying a professional to do it or not.
I didn't say annually, but it will depend on how clean the environment around the heat exchanger is, as that will dictate how much dust and debris needs to be cleared from the filters.

Everyone has a different ability and tolerance when it comes to DIY, I'd be at the higher end, so I couldn't countenance paying a couple of hundred for someone to do some dusting.

I didn't say annually, but it will depend on how clean the environment around the heat exchanger is, as that will dictate how much dust and debris needs to be cleared from the filters.

Everyone has a different ability and tolerance when it comes to DIY, I'd be at the higher end, so I couldn't countenance paying a couple of hundred for someone to do some dusting.
i would too, but i have watched the guys do the service and to call it some dusting is a gross simplification.

• Inspect the ducts, filters, blower, and indoor coil for dirt, obstructions, or damage
  • Clean the indoor coil and drain pan
  • Flush and clean the drain line
  • Diagnose and seal any leaks in the ducts
  • Check line and system discharge pressure
  • Measure and verify the refrigerant charge
  • Check for and repair any refrigerant leaks
  • Initiate a defrost cycle and check for the proper sequence
  • Inspect electrical wiring, replace damaged wire, and clean and tighten connections as needed
  • Check the blower wheel for balance and cleanliness
  • Inspect and lubricate motors and bearings as needed
  • Inspect belts for tightness and wear
  • Verify correct electric controls — i.e., determine that heating is locked out when the thermostat calls for cooling, and vice versa
  • Test thermostat operation
  • Inspect the outdoor condensing unit and base-pan for balance and cleanliness.
  • Verify that outdoor temperature sensors are properly situated

Blackrock. I agree with you about your assessment of a HEAT PUMP. It is a seriously complex unit comprising electronics, plumbing, hazardous liquids and an assortment of materials. Well worth getting a trained individual to work on it.

Could you mention the name of your SERVICE AGENT. That list of checks in the service seems very interesting. If you hesitate to mention the name in this forum - is there any way to send a private message. (I am located close to Spar at Trimleston, Booterstown)

It is a seriously complex unit comprising electronics, plumbing, hazardous liquids and an assortment of materials.
A bicycle is complex to one who doesn't understand it. A heat pump is no more complex than a fridge or AC unit, they work in very much the same way. So if you are at a DIY capability where looking at a cable or a motor bearing and understanding whether they are damaged or not is beyond you, then perhaps leave them alone.

The myth that they are highly complex is being driven by those seeking to make a business of 'servicing' where there are no qualifications required to carry out a service. If they were that complex the likes of Worcester Bosch wouldn't publish DIY guides and put DIY videos on YouTube explaining how to do it yourself.

Last year I got a few quotes for Heat Pump servicing.
NRG Panel said 175
Board Gais 249

Servicing does seem to be relatively simple, however, your (3-7 year) warranty is only valid if you get an annual servicing.

A bicycle is complex to one who doesn't understand it. A heat pump is no more complex than a fridge or AC unit, they work in very much the same way. So if you are at a DIY capability where looking at a cable or a motor bearing and understanding whether they are damaged or not is beyond you, then perhaps leave them alone.

The myth that they are highly complex is being driven by those seeking to make a business of 'servicing' where there are no qualifications required to carry out a service. If they were that complex the likes of Worcester Bosch wouldn't publish DIY guides and put DIY videos on YouTube explaining how to do it yourself.
from your link

Simply keeping your heat pump clean and clear of debris will ensure optimal performance and it will only need to be serviced by a professional once every few years.

from your link

Simply keeping your heat pump clean and clear of debris will ensure optimal performance and it will only need to be serviced by a professional once every few years.
Yeah, just like they say for domestic or motor AC units in homes to cover themselves, but the majority of people never get these serviced in the absence of an issue and never have problems.

Anyway, if you just take their advice I've saved you hundreds if you stop the unnecessary annual service :D

Back