Septic tanks vs waste treatment system

lfcjfc

The assessment carried out on the site for our new build concluded that the soil conditions were such that a conventional septic tank discharging to a percolation area would be sufficient to deal with the waste water. This is probably a cheaper option than some of the treatment systems available, however, I am wondering whether I should still go beyond the planning conditions and install a proprietary treatment system while I am at it. Any advice appreciated

If there is any nearby houses or farms on wells the id install an effluent treatment system...to be honest they are not much dearer than a conventional septic tank system... (probably no more than €1000 when everything is considered)...

Is the septic tank specified in the planning permission or have you got permission yet? Sometimes the percolation report writer may say septic tank but many councils want treatment plants.
If everyone started installing treatment plants it might help with the quality of water.

its funny that you should have that opinion... ive found that different councils have different policies.. some actually prefer a septic tank that works correctly over an ETS, ive been told this by a high level engineer... he didnt buy that the ETS give a 99.9% treatment of the water....

planning applications have to include details of the effluent treatment system AND proof of suitability of that system on the site, so this could be a determining factor as well. and the percolation area is also a very important factor in all this... ie whether its a standard perc area or raised bed or whatever....

If there is any nearby houses or farms on wells the id install an effluent treatment system...to be honest they are not much dearer than a conventional septic tank system... (probably no more than €1000 when everything is considered)...

I'm interested in where I can obtain a treatment system for around €1000. I live in Mayo. if you have any addresses/web sites I would be grateful

what i was describing was the 'difference' in price between a traditional septic tank system and an effluent treatment system.

Typically a septic tank system and percolation area will cost around €2500 for everything installed.....
I know of a particular ETS manufacturer whose system starts at €3500 for a population equivalant of 6 persons with gravity fall.... in my experience €3500 is the cheapest treatment system.

its funny that you should have that opinion... ive found that different councils have different policies.. some actually prefer a septic tank that works correctly over an ETS, ive been told this by a high level engineer... he didnt buy that the ETS give a 99.9% treatment of the water....
Fully agree.

Very much dependant on the LA and the individual engineers involved. Some are very keen to go down the ETS route (or similiar avenues) while others have huge reservations over it and the claims in relation to the treatment levels.

(FYI... a little OT.. for those interested, some interesting reading in relation to this and STEDS via , I found presentation on STEDS (11mb so a large one) by Matt Shortt an interesting read)

debated same thing, but in the end went for the septic. 800 versus 5k for the tanks and you need the same size percolation area either way and no running costs on a septic.

If the Co. Co. are happy with a septic tank, then why bother going the extra few bob to install the treatment system? After all the Co. Co. should be considering not only the site itself but any vulnerable areas around your site.
Because of the new focus on security of water supplies and their sources, if there was a problem, they would require a Treatment system (as opposed to a septic tank.
Also, standard septic tanks afford wholly adequate treatment of domestic waste if the area in which they are installed has good enough percolation and retention.
And like it has been alluded to, there are ongoing running costs associated with a treatment system, pumps etc., while a ST has only to be emptied once in a while, once a year max, for about €300.
But then again, it's entirely up to you I suppose. Don't think that you are having any less impact on the environment though if you install the TS.

Back