Separation or Divorce - Best Option?

Thank you Katie, I am in Dublin and I have the name of a Solicitor who has been recomended.

I could have done with an ex law solicitor. Does anyone know is there any law in this land that can MAKE a spouse respond? I'm still waiting and going on 7 years with legal costs mounting. My barrister has been in court & b4 county registrar a few times but it seems nobody can make a person respond if they chose not to. We're waiting a long time for a Cert of Readiness to be lodged in Court with the poss it won't happen. I've often wondered about getting a UK divorce as we're all european citizens now & I was married in a London registry office - however, that doesn't settle the house problem.

...the anti-divorce side was not without powerful means of getting its argument across via the still-powerful Catholic Church.

In fact, I'd say in the mid-1990's, Catholic Church versus mainstream media was a fair match in terms of power and influence...more people go to mass regularly than read the Irish Times...
Not wishing to sidetrack the OP's question further, but bear in mind the many hundreds (if not thousands) of anti-divorce votes garnered by the mass ferrying of elderly and religious — including nuns from silent/enclosed orders — to the polling stations, in coaches and minibuses organised and paid for by the Church and, ehm, certain political figures of the time...

That said, I'd agree with mf1 that without the particularly Irish 'fudge' enshrined in the text of the constitutional amendment, the referendum would probably have failed once again.

End of rant(?). To clareG, I would say that the choice between legal separation and divorce — since neither is truly 'final' — would hinge principally on the question of whether either of you foresees a future remarriage in this country. Best of luck, and do take Vanilla's advice above!

but bear in mind the many hundreds (if not thousands) of anti-divorce votes garnered by the mass ferrying of elderly and religious — including nuns from silent/enclosed orders — to the polling stations, in coaches and minibuses organised and paid for by the Church and, ehm, certain political figures of the time...
My aunt is a nun in an enclosed order, and they never needed any coaches or minibuses to get them to the polls. Any voting day (election or referendum) was seen as a great excuse to get out of the convent. They would vote as soon as the polls open and then disappear off for a day of shopping and visiting the relatives. One evening, I dropped her back to the convent around 8pm and she was highly apologetic to the Mother Superior about her lateness. She asked 'Am I the last one back' to be told 'No, you're the first actually'.

I have an aunt who's a nun too, and she'd certainly fit into that category, RainyDay! :D

But I do remember, at the time of the divorce referendum (and others), witnessing several such minibuses full of elderly/infirm people being assisted or wheelchaired into the local polling station by orderlies or clergy. Don't get me wrong — their votes are perfectly as valid and as important as anyone's; indeed; I have a lot more admiration for people with mobility problems who nonetheless make it their business to get out and cast their vote than for the masses of disillusioned (read: 'couldn't-be-orsed') 'yoof' who have more pressing matters on their agenda.

I'm just agreeing with Sherman and Gordanus' points above that there was — as with all big socio-political issues in this State — a high degree of skilful and extremely effective manipulation of the 'swing' vote by the Catholic hierarchy and other conservative forces.

Anyway, enough digression... :eek:

Back