separated from husband:am i now a first time buyer?

Hoolers

apologies if this question has been answered already - have searched around and couldn't find anything relevant.

further to the recent budget announcement of increased mortgage interest relief for first time buyers in the first seven years of their mortgage, i wanted to check if i qualify.

i bought my first house with my husband in 1999. we separated last year and i bought a house on my own. i heard on a radio programme shortly after budget day that when people separate from a spouse the seven year clock effectively starts again when they buy on their own, meaning that they will benefit from the increased mortgage interest relief for first time buyers announced in the recent budget.

i only caught the end of the radio announcement so am not sure if i got all the details. i called revenue about it and to be blunt, they weren't very helpful so i am still none the wiser.

was i imagining things or do i now qualify as a first time buyer as of last year? all advice gratefully received.

thanks,
hoolers

i think your ex-husband would have to still be living in the original 'family' home to enable you to qualify for first time buyer relief again. there are other threads on this - search "separation" or "divorce".

thanks for that - he still is living in the family home. will do a search now - was looking in the wrong place obviously!

cheers

hoolers

Back