SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) day today at your bank - Are the Irish banks ready?

Gulliver

Today (Monday Jan 28th 2008) the champagne glasses will clink in the Charlemange building in Brussels as Charlie McCreevy, the European Central Bank, and the banking industry of Europe celebrate "SEPA GOES LIVE" day.

SEPA - The Single Euro Payments Area is the concept of making it as easy to transfer money across borders in the Eurozone as it is within the country. It should start with the credit transfer today - but are the Irish banks ready? Given their total silence on the subject, it is hard to know. My guess is that if they had something to say, we'd have heard it. No mention in the weekend papers - no mention on the bank websites.

Very substantial benefits are quoted from Brussels on this one - and even greater benefits if instead of minimalist implementation, the banks take the opportunity to improve a range of automated services, particularly invoice presentment and payment.

In later stages of SEPA (perhaps a year from now), a Europe-wide Direct Debit should be available, which will mean that if you have a little villa on the Costa or in Provence, you will not need to have a local bank account there to pay the bills

Other stages should improve the acceptance of Debit cards.

Is Ireland going to be the laggard of Europe on this one?

Re: SEPA day today at your bank - Are the Irish banks ready?

Is this not what IBAN is all about?

I get paid for free using IBAN from my Dutch contract company to my BoI account. Have been for a number of years.

They may, or may not, be ready - but regardless, I can't imagine it's ever going to be a service that the banks will actively promote - given the potential for Admin headaches and "issues" that will surely result.

Bank of Ireland already offer this service on their 365 Online internet banking

NIB has this functionality already as I use it to wire money to the USA and Portugal regularly.....for free. Their online system has improved immensely since the takeover by Danske Bank. I believe that there is a charge for higher amounts (not sure what the threshold is) but it's a great service.

I worked in an Irish bank on SEPA and the responses above are interesting. Yes yoganmahew, using IBAN is part of the SEPA change and yes BOI and NIB are offering this kind of functionality already (all the major banks are I am sure). SEPA however is a big change to the infrastructure used to exchange payments, the rules around the processing of payments, the amount of information available with the payment and so on and will affect both international payments and domestic payments.

I would be interested in knowing, what is the general impression of SEPA out there, are many people aware of what it is and what it entails?

Back