Sent Fire Brigade Bill Following Accident

serotoninsid

Was in a serious car accident a few months back - for which the other party admitted full liability.

I just received a bill from the County Fire Brigade for €1670. Do I send this to the other party's insurance company - or just contact the fire brigade and ask them to send it to them?

I would just send it on to the insurance co. and let the fire brigade know that you have done that, let them deal with each other from there hopefully

keep a photocopy of it and get a certificate of postages from post office (free) for peace of mind as bill very large and in your name.

Do I send this to the other party's insurance company - or just contact the fire brigade and ask them to send it to them?
Never had the misfortune so can't comment with any knowledge or experience, but I always assumed that in a case like this you'd be required (as per your policy) to send the information on to your own insurance company and let them follow it up as appropriate?

Hope someone can confirm/correct me on that, just what I had always 'assumed'.

Never had the misfortune so can't comment with any knowledge or experience, but I always assumed that in a case like this you'd be required (as per your policy) to send the information on to your own insurance company and let them follow it up as appropriate?

Hope someone can confirm/correct me on that, just what I had always 'assumed'.
That depends whether you're claiming off your own comp insurance or not. If you claim off your own insurance, you lose your no claim discount. Your insurance co will try to recover the costs from the other side.

If you claim directly off the other side's insurance, you protect your own NCB, though you might find it difficult to shop around for a few years.

I know the loacl authority charges for callouts like thse but how do they decide on who to bill? Do they send a bill to the vehicle owner that was responsible for the cause of the accident, send duplicate bills to all cars involved in the accident or do they distribute the costs between all involved?

That depends whether you're claiming off your own comp insurance or not. If you claim off your own insurance, you lose your no claim discount. Your insurance co will try to recover the costs from the other side.

Temporarily. When the claim is settled your no claims discount should be reinstated.

Temporarily. When the claim is settled your no claims discount should be reinstated.
That's not my understanding, though my personal experience is (thankfully) a little dated. It is a 'no claim' discount, not a 'no blame' discount. If you make a claim, even if the other guy is at fault, you lose the discount.

Not if the insurer is aware the third party is at fault and seeks to recover the loss. The bonus would get reinstated. It just make take a while.

Back