Sending original drivers licence-any other options?

InfoSeeker

I am applying for an Ulster Bank Credit Card and have to send in my original drivers licence as I do not have any other forms in that section (one being Revenue's Notification & Determination of Tax Credits but still have not received it!!).

This will be returned to me once the application is processed.

My query is that if I am in a traffic related incident and am asked to produce my drivers licence then it is a valid excuse that I have to send this away. I would think that it probably is not but wanted to see if anyone had ever encountered this issue before?

Re: Sending Original Drivers Licence

Doesn't current legislation say you must have your driving license with you at all times while driving? Could you open the account in-branch?

I think you need to go into a branch and they can verify that they have seen the license to process the application.

Lauren said:
I think you need to go into a branch and they can verify that they have seen the license to process the application.

Yes, can confirm that this is what they did recently in my case when applying for UB credit card, I went into the local branch they took a photocopy and signed something saying they had seen the original.

Bear in mind, (as they didnt mention it in the branch at the time) it takes approx 3-4 weeks for application to be processed

I certainly wouldn't be posting any original paperwork! Go into your local branch or failing that you could get a certified copy of the license.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am going to go into town at lunchtime and show them the original in the branch.

Thanks Sam for letting me know the process time.

Or you can photocopy it yourself and go to the nearest Garda station and ask them to stamp it for verification, we did this for our mortgage application and it was with our passports.

Back