Sending money to the States

F

Frances

I recently visted the States on holiday and lost my wallet on first day, so had to borrow money from my friend who lives there. What would be the handiest and cheapest way to get the money back to her. It's not a big amount $300 so I don't want to spend a lot sending it and I also don't want her to have to spend money cashing a cheque of whatever. I was thinking of sending cash as in three hundred dollar bills by registered post. What do you think. Any advice on wiring money abroad would be appreciated. Also, would I be able to pay money directly into her visa account from here without a huge fee being involved. Thanks

re

i had to send money to the US in a hurry so sent it western union from the PO it was expensive but for quickness well worth it

Re: re

A dollar draft is fairly handy, you can get it at the FX desk of the bank, costs about 4EUR or so.

Draft

Follow Dowee's advise and get a draft at your bank in $ and send it over with for example EMS Docpack (15€) which allows you to track it.

Your friend just hands it into his bank and points out that this is a so called cashiers check (US name for Draft) and it will be on his/her account depending on the banks policy fast as it is drawn on a US Bank.

Permanenttsb for example hands out citibank checks which nearly all banks in the US cash within 1 day.

Unfortunatly there is no way of paying it into her visa card from here (I wish). You might be able to use Paypal or Moneybookers for easy transfer to the US if your friend has such an account.

Back