Sending money to american bank account

thelad77

Can i send someone in america a cheque for 500 euro,s
Or should i just send it from my bank, aib, to to their bank in america
i have their bank account no.
do i need a sort code or any other info apart from name,adress .

Don't send a cheque.

I'd suggest the easiest is to ask if they have paypall and pay them that way. If you want to pay to their bank, you'll need the US equivalent of a sort code which is an "ABA number" along with Bank name and address. Also need the persons name and address as well as the account number. You can do it via online banking (for BoI anyway)

Avoid cheques and bank transfers. The American banks will charge multiples of the Irish ones to process. I’ve used Revolut now with for a year as an alternative to PayPal who we’re taking a bit too

Another vote for transferwise here (just rebranded to wise I believe). You'll get a much better exchange rate and very low fees.

You can fill in a transfer form and take it to the local branch, if you still have one, and hand it in and they will do it for you for a fee - a large fee

There is much less fraud around than you imagine - billions are transferred every second and only a tiny, tiny amount involves fraud

Is there a safe way of doing a bank transfer? I'd be extra paranoid about this give the amount of successful hacking that is happening these days.

Maybe invest in an extra careful spam filter and scan the devices that you are using first.

Initiating a transaction is about as safe as you can get - particularly if you have decent two factor authentication. Most of the "hacking" that goes on is social engineering rather than breaking the encryption of the banking apps - that is to say, people responding to messages that appear to be from their bank and giving away their credentials to a bad guy. So the real concern is where you aren't initiating something but where you are reacting to a message.

The other main area of fraud is where legitimate payment details are replaced with false ones i.e. I want to pay a supplier, they email their bank details, but a bad guy intercepts emails and replaces the bank details. I then make the payment to the wrong people. So make sure you have the correct banking details.

Spam filters won't be much of a protection really

Back