Sending CF83 form by recorded delivery

Yes, I sent mine to that address in June 2023 and received a reply in the post this morning, 4th April. The letter is dated the 7th of March and states I can pay voluntary contributions backdated to 2006, deadline is the 5th of April!!! There's an option to transfer the payment for the backdated years by bank transfer which I have set up and hopefully the money will go through on time. All I can advise is that you have money ready to pay if you want to buy back years. I was lucky that I have the money in the credit union so can pay it.

so don't expect a fast reply or that it's tracked properly, according to an post my letter is still in transit!

Good luck

and FYI here's the full address I sent my application to -
PT Operations
North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AN
United Kingdom

I understand there is an online form. Are there any advantages / disadvantages to using that ?

I couldn't find any facility on the HM Revenue website to use an online form but I know the site is being updated continuously. I just sent the completed hard copy form along with a cover letter and history of my employment in Ireland. It took from June' 23 until today to recieve a response which outlined the amount of contributions I could buy, the cost and how to pay it.

This is the page link that sets out how to make an overseas payment for NI voluntary contributions. It's the same details for class 2 & 3 from what I can see. I paid into it today after receiving a letter with the details of the amount I could buy back.

Overseas payments​

Use the following details to make a payment if your account is overseas:

• account number (IBAN) - GB49 BARC 2020 4830 9447 93
  • Bank Identifier Code (BIC) - BARCGB22
  • account name - HMRC NIC receipts

Reference number​

Use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’, your surname then your initial. If your bank limits you to a certain amount of characters, you should use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’ and as much of your surname as possible.

Example
If your name is Anne Jones, you’d write the reference as QQ123456AICJONESA

Yes, I sent mine to that address in June 2023 and received a reply in the post this morning, 4th April. The letter is dated the 7th of March and states I can pay voluntary contributions backdated to 2006, deadline is the 5th of April!!!
Are you sure that the payment date isn't 5th April 2025?
It is on the letter I received. The UK government delayed the closing of the scheme until then because of the huge uptake and the backlog in applications.

Yes, I sent mine to that address in June 2023 and received a reply in the post this morning, 4th April. The letter is dated the 7th of March and states I can pay voluntary contributions backdated to 2006, deadline is the 5th of April!!! There's an option to transfer the payment for the backdated years by bank transfer which I have set up and hopefully the money will go through on time. All I can advise is that you have money ready to pay if you want to buy back years. I was lucky that I have the money in the credit union so can pay it.

so don't expect a fast reply or that it's tracked properly, according to an post my letter is still in transit!

Good luck
Hi Nicki,

Is that the 5th April 2024 or 2025?

Regards

my panicked brain just saw the date and assumed it was this year but I've just checked the letter again and you are correct it's 5th of April 2025.

sorry for confusion!

Can I ask when does one pay for the Tax Year 2023 to 2024?
They told me that I would get a letter in April with the offer to pay 23 to 24. A letter will be sent in April of each subsequent year so it is important to let them know if you move house.

Can I ask when does one pay for the Tax Year 2023 to 2024?
I’m waiting for the Government Gateway record to update and show this. I had expected that to be the 5th April (today) but it’s still showing “Your record for this year is not available yet”.

I’m also expecting the estimate and forecast pension amounts to update to reflect the recent 8.5% pension increase.

EDIT: Just read that the change over date might be 8th April.

Last edited:
I understand there is an online form. Are there any advantages / disadvantages to using that ?
Hi all, I'm just in process of getting paperwork together and have noticed no place to attach any files on the online form - although there is a space to fill in further information to add with your claim by text alone. The online form does take dates of employment both in the UK and Ireland into account although there is no place for me to attach anything to back it up that I can see

Are people applying online or is the better play sending hard copies of the form with photos/copies of relevant documents?
Just not sure exactly what they are looking for.

They told me that I would get a letter in April with the offer to pay 23 to 24. A letter will be sent in April of each subsequent year so it is important to let them know if you move house.
I sent money after being on the phone with them in November last year saying I'll send two years payments for 2018 and 2019 but they seem to have assigned that to 2023 and 2024 for some reason... suppose it's swings and roundabouts. Also to reply to Kev1964's post my forecast is now showing the budget increase since a few days ago woohoo!

I sent money after being on the phone with them in November last year saying I'll send two years payments for 2018 and 2019 but they seem to have assigned that to 2023 and 2024 for some reason... suppose it's swings and roundabouts. Also to reply to Kev1964's post my forecast is now showing the budget increase since a few days ago woohoo!
5 weeks ago I sent my payment by bank transfer in GBP for all years, 2006 to 2023.
I checked online today and it shows 2023 to 2024 as paid but 2006 to 2023 as not paid. They say in their payment instructions that it can take 8 weeks for payments to show online so I will just keep checking until then. Fingers crossed.

5 weeks ago I sent my payment by bank transfer in GBP for all years, 2006 to 2023.
I checked online today and it shows 2023 to 2024 as paid but 2006 to 2023 as not paid. They say in their payment instructions that it can take 8 weeks for payments to show online so I will just keep checking until then. Fingers crossed.
Exact same thing happened to me. Sent off payment for 6 years for 2007/08 to 2012/13 on 22 Feb 2024. Today the site is showing "Full Year" for 2023/24 and "Year is not full" for 2007/08 onwards. I'm assuming they will update it correctly in the next couple of months.

I paid multiple years in one go and they showed up a few years at a time over the course of a week or so.

Back