SemiD house smoke transfer through chimney stack?

K

kilross

I have a semi detached home where i occasionally light my open fire, my neighbours complained that smoke was come out on there side on occasion. We investigated the problem and found that the block built brace had been damaged during construction ( hole 6 inches by 14 inchs had been knocked out???). We repaired this but the neighbours are still complaining of a smell in their house when i light the fire. they have asked that i get tests carried out to identify where the air leak is between their house and mine. Does anyone know who would provide such a service? And as this is a parity wall is it all my fault for lighting the fire? Builders have gone bust so cant get advice from them.

The house is a timber frame construction.

Any help welcomed.

smoke transfer

hi, kilross, sorry i do not have any suggestions for you, but we have similar problem in that smoke from our fireplace is coming down a redundant chimney flue into our kithen that i can leave open for fumes etc from my cooker . I have a hatch that i open and close but regardless it still comes down depending which way the wind blows. Suggestion made to us is to heighten chimney pot on chimney that we light fire in. Not sure it is the time of year for this kind of job. its getting annoying now. perhaps a chimney expert could give some hepful advice.

Maybe you could put new flexi flue liner down the chimney and line with vermiculite (assuming there is still not a big hole that would allow it to spill in next door.

I dont think that the chimney is still the problem, i think that the smell is travelling under the skirting board on my side through the stud wall and coming out on the other side.

Would an air tightness company be able to help??

Back